Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death At Sea?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2015 00:08

If someone was thought to have died at sea but no body ever found would they have a death record?

I found an article in the Carlisle Gazette in 1890 saying that a man I suspect to be my 3x great grandfather Andrew Connelly who was a former mariner is thought to have died at sea. He set sail with two other men from Whitehaven and tried to get to Millom it goes on to say the body of one man has washed ashore and as a result all three are thought to have been lost at sea.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2015 00:17

In all probabilty a DC would eventually be issued, Without it, his estate couldn't be settled, nor (technically) could his wife re-marry.

Was he born in Dublin??

First name(s) Andrew
Last name Connelly
Gender Male
Birth year 1845
Birth date 1845
Birth place Dublin
Death year 1890
Death date 1890
Age 45
Vessel name Swan
Departure port -
Series BT 156
Box 0004
Page 6
>>>>Record set Deaths at sea, 1781-1968 <<<<
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2015 00:19

He was born in Dublin around 1845 so that does appear to be him.

Thank you
Tawny

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2015 00:25

The image says that his last abode was 51 Queen Street Millom.
Cause of death – Supposed drowned; boat cast ashore 1.10.90 (crew missing) at Poolfoot Cumberland on passage from Whitehaven to Duddon; total [might mean unsalvagable]

It was an unregistered pleasure yacht.

Source of information – Eng.11 W.R
[no idea what the initials mean]

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2015 00:28

Thank you. His wife Ellenor was living in Queen Street on the 1891 census.

Tawny

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2015 00:29

Sending you the image by PM

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2015 00:34

Managed to open it. Thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2015 07:14

My paternal grandfather was lost at sea

He was washed overboard in bad weather from the sailing ship Port Logan on route from Melbourne Australia to Bremen . I have the ships log detailing the event with the longitude and latitude refs . This was in June 1911 . Sad to see nan listed on the 1911 census with her children including my dad not knowing that a few months later she would lose her hubby

From the ships log a death certificate was issued which just gives cause of death as lost at sea and the ships name

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jan 2015 07:15

Deaths at sea are recorded in a separate registery from normal deaths - similarly for deaths on aircraft, deaths on hovercraft, and deaths on British oil rigs.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2015 08:52

Grandfathers death cert was found on FMP in the following records

Record source GRO Marine Death Indices (1903 to 1965)
Record set British nationals died overseas 1818-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

Graham

Graham Report 27 Jan 2015 12:17

From Ancestry

Name: Andrew Connelly
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1890
Death Age: 45
Page: 71
FHL Film Number: 101596
Cancel
Source Information

Ancestry.com. Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:

“Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845–1958,” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah. General Register Office. "Quarterly Returns of Births in Ireland with Index to Births." Belfast, Irelan

Graham

Graham Report 27 Jan 2015 12:22

There was a Andrew Conelly death in Cumberland in 1890; but he was only 3 years old :-(

Name: Andrew Connelly
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Registration Year: 1890
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 3
Registration district: Bootle
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Cumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 423

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Jan 2015 16:00

Thank you all for the information. Andrews grandson also named Andrew died at around a year old in 1902 :-(