Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shared trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 28 Mar 2015 17:51

Being able to find trees that have a common ancestor seems difficult with genes reunited

I have used ancestry before and it was more successful :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2015 17:57

You need to look under the Search heading and then Search Members trees and put in one of your ancestors details to see if anyone is researching the same family

You can then click on the Find Out More Box and send a message to the tree holder to see if there is a match :-)

Kense

Kense Report 29 Mar 2015 08:43

Alternatively find the person in your tree and there should be a number in their box.

Click on that and it tells you the number of matching records and the number of matching trees.

Click on the matching trees and a list of possible matching trees will be displayed in another window.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 Mar 2015 13:35

Welcome to the Community boards Jane.

(I'll let Jane know how to find her replies) :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 30 Mar 2015 17:51

Further to comment by Kense.

If your ancestor is input with an exact birth year, you will likely only get a listing of other trees with that year for that name. It is then best to change the search range to +/- one year - or even two years - as many folk take their birth year from the ages showing on a census return. And these could be out by one year, even if the age is correct, as the census returns were not taken on 31Dec/01Jan.

You may get many hits - especially with common surnames - but most or even all will not be a match to your folk as GR does not take account of the birth area.