Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroners inquest reports

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2015 17:58

How do I go about obtaining a Coroners report that took place in Howden Yorkshire in 1901?

Thanks

Petef

Petef Report 13 Apr 2015 18:10

Have you looked at the local newspapers? Coroners reports are often there.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 13 Apr 2015 18:25

Coroners record are few & far between.
Coroners have the legal right to get rid of their records after just 15 yrs,therefore many have not survived, those that do have a long closure rule on them 75 -100 years!
Unless the death of the person whos records you seek was out of the ordinary / unique then they are not likely to be available today! but should you wish to see if there are any the Records/Archives office covering the area concerned is the place to contact.
You should be able to search any records that might have survived or the staff will / should so the search for you but are likely to make a charge!

As Peter has suggested you could also search the newspapers of the place where your person lived/died,many inquests were reported in the newspaper.
Old newspapers are held at the relevant main library & if you cannot do the search personally the staff are "usually" happy to do the search for you.
You need to give as much information as possible to narrow the search,names,dates,place, this all helps to keep the cost of the search down as most places will make a charge for doing the search for you.

I have discovered several of my own ancestors inquest reports via the newspapers of the time, but not all of them!
In all the years I have been doing my Family History I have never managed to locate any actual Coroners records!

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2015 19:19

Thank you very much Joan and Peter.

As the incident took place in 1901 I think its going to be unlikely that I can actually get a copy of the report.

I tried googling the accident 29th June 1901 at Slekton Bridge River Ouse and didn't find anything.

I did find a site that logged all the deaths in Yorkshire papers and he wasn't there.

Not sure if there is anywhere left to try,

I will keep on looking

Thanks again

Jane

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 13 Apr 2015 19:26

Was the person you are looking for called Charles Fish?
I have found a report for a death at SKelton Bridge

Oh no, maybe not the right one the newspaper cutting I have found is for 1910!!

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2015 19:44

Sorry his name was Thomas Gray.

Jane

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 13 Apr 2015 19:53

Hi Jane, I have tried different wording but not picking up anything for Thomas Gray via the newspaper records on Findmypast, but thats not to say there wasn't a report in the local newspaper! might be worth asking at the relevant library!

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2015 20:34

thanks Joan

I will give them a call and see if I can find anything.

All the best

Jane

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Apr 2015 08:38

??

Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 25 June 1901

HULL MAN'S FALL
DROWNED IN THE OUSE NEAR GOOLE

PC Laughton, Hook, near Goole, reports that yesterday he received information from Alfred Wainman, Edgar Terrace, Hook, of the drowning of Thomas Gray, carpenter, Hull.
Deceased was seen by Wainman to fall from an iron ladder at the North Eastern Railway Company's bridge, which spans the River Ouse at Hook, into the water. Before assistance could be rendered, he was carried away by the tide and drowned.
Deceased, who was assisting in the repair of the bridge was 36 years of age.
---------------------------------------------------

Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 25 June 1901

£2 reward will be paid to anyone Recovering the body of Thomas Gray who accidentally fell from the Ouse Railway Bridge on Monday midday- Wrigglesworth, Hook Bridge.
--------------------------------------------------

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2015 09:18

Yes that is my Thomas. How sad is that.

Thank you very much for finding that for me.

Jane

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Apr 2015 09:26

It is very sad Jane. I can't see anything further reported on the incident or on the recovery of his body, but like Joan said a local library may have more.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2015 09:28

Thank you very much for trying. I will try and contact the library and see if they can help me.

All the best

Jane

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Apr 2015 09:33

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

GRAY Thomas of 5 Blanche Grove, Victor Street, Kingston upon Hull, shipwright, died 24th June 1901 at Hooke Railway Bridge near Goole Yorkshire. Administration London 31st January to Sarah Ann Gray widow effects £55.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2015 13:01

Thanks Gritty

I will add that to my notes. Poor Lady she would not have been able to do much with £55.00.

Perhaps she remarried.

I know she possibly had a daughter called Hilda after his death. Although I am not sure she was her child.

Thank you very much for helping me

Jane

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2015 13:17

?????

From http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1907
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
GRAY Hilda M Drypool Hull DRY/93/382

GRO ref from FreeBMD
Births Jun 1907 (>99%)
GRAY Hilda May Sculcoates 9d 213

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 14 Apr 2015 14:02

Well done Gritty.

I tried all manner of wording using findmypast & though I got several incidents happening in the same place I couldn't get any results for a Thomas Gray.

Jane......£55, though not a "great" deal of money,I think it would have gone much further than £55 in todays money!

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2015 14:09

Thanks DetEcTive I think my Hilda is possibly the second one registered in Sculcoates. I might send for it and see what it says.

Joan of course you are right! You would have been able to do with that money than you can today. It just doesn't seem a lot when she had a family to bring up and keep a roof over their heads.

Thanks

Jane

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2015 14:16

Both birth regs are probably for the same Hilda - Yorks BMD breaks it down in to the local reg offices. Sarah Ann (assuming the correct census) was living in the registration district of Drypool on the 1911.

Name: Sarah Ann Gray
Age in 1911: 42
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Meux, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Sculcoates
County/Island: Yorkshire-East Riding
Street address: 4 Alexandra Terrace Woodhouse St
Marital Status: Widowed
Registration district: Sculcoates
Registration District Number: 521
Sub-registration district: Drypool <<<<
ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Piece: 28672
Household Members:
Name Age
Sarah Ann Gray 42
Mabel Gray 16
Thomas Stephenson Gray 10
Hulda Gray 4
John Woollas 43

If you do intend to apply to the gro for the BC, use the refs citing Sculcoates. Don't be surprised if Thomas is named as the father - mind you, as Sarah Ann had boarders???? :-D

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 14 Apr 2015 14:19

Hi Jane, glad to see that you got a good result.

I love looking through the old newspaper articles,I spend a lot of time just inserting family names & places & it is surprising what comes up,I have found several interesting stories about some of my family members,some criminal,both petty & serious, some inquests, BMD announcements etc.
Puts flesh on the bones so to speak.

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2015 15:12

Thank you for all your help. It is amazing what information people can find out about our relatives. As you say finding out these little details makes them people and not just names.

I knew nothing about Thomas when I picked him for one of my 52 week challenges. I wonder what I will find when I choose my next relative to do.

I had better take my finger out as I am rather behind with this challenge. Nearly a year behind to be exact. Oh well One day I will have my 52 stories.

All the best

Jane