Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes Reunite Family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 May 2015 08:42

Anyone know If I can put partners as again married, as in the case of illegitimate births?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 May 2015 09:41

You can add as many 'spouses' as you deem necessary

Just click on 'add'.......select 'spouse', and input the info

Bear in mind that to add details of living people, you require permission from each of them

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 May 2015 09:43

Hi.
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but I think you have to add partners as a spouse.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 May 2015 10:07

Just make sure you add any children in their birth/registered surname. The Tree automatically assumes they take the father's or wife's husbands surname. You can alter it manually.
If the child has been double listed in the GRO index with mothers maiden name and surname as well as the fathers surname, enter them twice on your tree as siblings to reflect this.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 May 2015 11:28

Not explained very well
The only option in the family tree is marriage eg Husband Wife.
I would like to input Partner or Other.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 May 2015 12:39

Not possible on GR, in fact on the majority of on-line sites.
On the other hand, many off line tree programmes do allow this.

As you won't be adding marriage details to signify a legal wedding, just add a note in the appropriate box. Be thankful the programme recognises same sex relationships :-D

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 May 2015 22:18

Nowhere on the GR tree setup are the words husband or wife used.

The ONLY word used for a sexual partner is SPOUSE.....unless you're seeing something that I'm not!

Kense

Kense Report 1 May 2015 22:40

The problem is that most dictionaries define spouse as a married partner. Wikipedia has a much broader definition of spouse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spouse which is probably what most family historians would agree with.

The on-line Ancestry tree has eight different types of father and mother that can be used to clarify relationships.