Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Household Staff 1700s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2015 09:21

I am trying to determine whether various members of the Royal Household staff in the 1700s, by the name of Evans are related to our confirmed Royal Household ancestors, Robert Evans who was an established helper in 1812, then groom, then postillion, & died in 1836, & his son John Evans, who was a groom. My question is...
during the 1700s, did Royal Household staff live inhouse where the King was living at the time, or did they live in private homes, for example I have been looking at Evans' living [paying land tax] in St George, Hanover Square & some in St James, Westminster. And would Royal household staff served in the military?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 May 2015 16:32

Welcome to the boards, Linda.

Have you tried contacting the Royal Archives?

"Please write to us with your enquiry, including as much detail as possible, and send it to: The Royal Archives, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ. "

http://tinyurl.com/4xkpkg9

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 May 2015 22:40

I wrote to them about 10 years ago & they replied & confirmed the 2 ancestors that we do know about, but perhaps I should write again & try to get some more information on the pre-1800s Evans' I have found.