Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

fostered looking for file update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 10 May 2015 22:40

Could someone point me in the right direction please. My friend was born in cheltenham in the unmarried mothers home, her mother came from the forest of dean. She stayed in cheltenham till 6 weeks then she went to the church of england childrens society home in swansea. When she was 6 mths old she then went back to the forest of dean and was placed with long term foster parents.
Where would be her point of call to ask about her file, she is hoping that it will have her fathers name on it.
So she doesn't get fobbed off has she the right to see these files as have adopted people.
Any ideas.
Thankyou
Anne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 May 2015 22:54

Hi Anne.
As your friend was fostered, I assume she kept her birth name. Therefore she should be able to get her birth cert to find out her mother's name.
I would perhaps suggest she asks social services for some advice re. accessing her file.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 May 2015 22:56

Tell her to contact Social Services....the obvious place to ask for such info

Don't hold out too much hope of the father being named.............

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 May 2015 23:07

Glos County Council will give the direct number to the correct dept,,,,,,her paper history will be on file till she reached 18 and yes she can apply for access of information and be given copies,.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 10 May 2015 23:16

Thankyou Kay, I will let her know.

Jan yes she did keep her name and has her birth cert but no fathers name. I have another thread on trying to find living relatives if you want to have alook.

Anne

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 11 May 2015 11:46

My friend rang social services today, they are going to send a form to fill out and they said her records should be with her within 48 hrs. So we will see fingers crossed her dads name is in there somewhere.
Anne