Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Place of Residence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jun 2015 21:44

Hello all

Wonder if anyone could help me out with this. (^_^)

In 1920, my great grandfather is listed as living at a place called 'Portman Club' in Church Street, Marylebone. No number given. I've done some searches on google, but only come up with two possibilities, there's a place 'today' called Portman early learning centre in Church Street, and also 'Portman Square'. None I feel strongly about. Does anyone know what this Portman Club might be? Or if anyone can shed light on what it might have been. Any help/tips will do, many thanks!

Rachel

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Jun 2015 22:12

Is that the only year he is listed at that address?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Jun 2015 22:17

Portman Club, 80, Church Street, St Marylebone, Marylebone, London, England

Loads of names listed

Herridge
Harris
Horton
Loads shown as boarders

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 21 Jun 2015 22:17

Gentlemen's clubs often had accommodation for members

What is the document which gives that address for him?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Jun 2015 22:21

1911 if you need to check it

Name: John Herridge
Age in 1911: 80
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Ham
Civil Parish: St Marylebone
County/Island: London
Street address: 80-82 Church St, St Marylebone NW, London W
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 21
Estimated Marriage Year: 1890
Registration district: St Marylebone
Registration District Number: 7
Sub-registration district: Christchurch
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Piece: 561

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jun 2015 23:05

That is currently the only time that I have him listed there at the moment. The document that I found it on was a military one, where he lists that as his place of address before being taken to Wormwood Scrubs (another subject I'll be asking about later on a different thread!)

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jun 2015 23:07

Oh, I should add, he did live at 44 Church Street as a child. But this 'Portman Club' has me intrigued. His name is Thomas Thompson.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jun 2015 23:37

From Wikipedia list of London Gentlemen's Clubs:-

Portland Club (formerly the Stratford Club until 1825)

Established c.1815

Location: 94 Piccadilly (sharing the premises of the Naval and Military Club between 1969 and the 1990s); 69 Brook Street (current, sharing premises of the Savile Club)

Located since 1990's

Affilliation: Cards

No women members

Looks like this was a gentlemen's club where men went to gamble at card games.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jun 2015 23:42

Is this him in the 1901 census or is it one of his ancestors:-

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
44, Church Street, St Marylebone, Marylebone, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Thomas Martin Thompson Head Married Male 58 1843 Confectioner & Sweets Kingsbridge
Harriett Thompson Wife Married Female 56 1845 - Marylebone, Middlesex, England
Jane Thompson Grand Daughter Single Female 5 1896 - Marylebone, Middlesex, England
Emma Watson Sister Married Female 52 1849 - Chelsea, Middlesex, England
George Thompson Son Single Male 23 1878 Builders Carman Westminster, Middlesex, England

Kath. x

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jun 2015 23:55

So Portman and Portland are the same clubs? Makes sense. A gambling club, hmm! And they had their own room there, must have been addicted to gambling or something.

Kath, those are his relatives in 1901, Thomas Martin Thompson (1843) was his Grandfather, who he was named after. This Thomas Martin Thompson was born in 1897, though he lies in most documents and says he was born in 1895. Frank Thompson was his father, Margaret (nee Lynch) was his mother.

Gritty

Gritty Report 22 Jun 2015 07:00

I can't see any reference to a Portman Club in Church Street- but there is this:

Cambridge Chronicle and Journal - Friday 27 February 1835

"A clubhouse is about to be established and is now forming, designated the PORTMAN CLUB. The house, at present, is preparing for the reception of the Members is situated in Baker Street, Portman Square; which position will constitute a great convenience to gentlemen situated in Regent's Park, and others living in its fashionable neighbourhood.

The club will be conducted on the same principles as those of the most approved London Clubs, the comfort and convenience of which are too generally known and appreciated to need any description.

The first hundred members elected will be admitted free of the entrance subscription which will be £25. Annual subscription £5.: and £1. upon registering name..."

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jun 2015 11:06

Rachel

Please don't start another thread about the man.................just add your query to this, and indicate in the title that you have done so

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 Jun 2015 13:20

Gritty, great find!!

Thanks for the help everyone! So a gentlemen's club eh. More mystery to my great grandfather, seeing as the records didn't point towards him being upper or middle class.

Jacqueline, I wasn't aware that you could alter the title, thanks for the tip for future reference!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jun 2015 13:32

Sorry Rachel...my mistake. I mixed up Portland and Portman.

Kath. x

Gritty

Gritty Report 22 Jun 2015 17:15

I think the Portman club in Baker Street, Portman Square might be a different place. The Portman Club, Church Street is referenced in Report of the Medical Officer of Health for St. Marylebone in 1915:

"In North Marylebone the number of attendances at the consultations held at the
Portman Club, Church Street, under Drs. Christine Murrell and Emily Mecredy,
was 2,690, as against 2,098 in 1914..."

http://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/report/b18254299/16#?asi=0&ai=16&z=-0.4418%2C0.4247%2C2.3101%2C0.9917

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 Jun 2015 20:33

No problem, Kath, thanks for searching anyway!

And Gritty, interesting, thanks once again for your detective skills. Wonder why he'd list a medical office as his place of residence though, unless he was a patient there or it was simply turned into 'flats' later on.