Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Combining Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 27 Jun 2015 08:31

Am wondering if there is a simpler way of combining two trees on Ancestry other than painstakingly entering the individuals details into my Shoebox then transferring them to another tree.

Any advice gratefully received, thank you.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jun 2015 08:43

You could ask ANCESTRY................

lavender

lavender Report 27 Jun 2015 08:47

I've had a look at their message boards and it all looks so complicated, I wouldn't even know where to post.

I just thought that since many members of Genes have both subscriptions then somebody might be kind enough to enlighten me. I'm not very good on computers. I'm trying to do one person at a time but can't help thinking that there must be an easy way!

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Jun 2015 09:56

You can merge two trees if you have at least one relevant person in both trees - look at the the "more" heading and "merge" from the list of options

Sorry - not very good at explaining :-(

lavender

lavender Report 27 Jun 2015 10:18

Thank you, Elizabeth. I know how to merge two people on the same tree, I will look at the possibility of merging both trees.

edit * I'm not seeing how to do it but I have found a post about it on Ancestry using FTM which I don't have (I don't even know what that is)! It looks very complicated, beyond me. No worries will just persevere doing a person every day :-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Jun 2015 10:27

Sorry again lavender-I do not think you can merge two trees but if you find out I will be interested too !

lavender

lavender Report 27 Jun 2015 10:31

Thank you Elizabeth, I was just replying above. No worries! :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2015 10:36

Looking for the ancestors name in the Tree hints, or in Public Members trees. Then you can select which parts you wish to combine.

I've several trees on my account, having split the American branch from the main UK one. Because they have mutual ancestors at some point, I'm constantly being offered my own other tree to combine with!

Ken2

Ken2 Report 27 Jun 2015 11:58

lavender
FTM is short for Family Tree Maker - a software program that you use on your computer that can link in to your tree on Ancestry.

lavender

lavender Report 27 Jun 2015 14:24

Thank you, am going to look into this :-)