Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wells, Knott and Simms. Early photographs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 23 Nov 2015 14:54

My Aunt died in the year 2000 at Hucclecote , Gloucester and we collected some of her personal effects from a local solicitor. These had been rescued by their clerk from a rubbish skip used for the house clearance.
When we got around to examine them we found that amongst them was around a couple of hundred old photos that had been mixed in by accident. They date from the mid Victorian to the early 1960’s. The solicitors office could not help us tracing the family.
They have no connection whatsoever with our family but someone would treasure them.

Assumedly they belonged to someone who died around the same time in the Hucclecote area of Gloucester A lot are from the mid/late Victorian period many have a 20th century Royal Navy connection.

The names on the photographs are largely Wells, Knott and Simms.
There is a press cutting for the marriage of Mr Mathew Wells of Fern Bank Sale to Helen daughter of Captain W Knott of Warrington , late 52nd Light Infantry.
James Simms was a Royal Naval surgeon in the1891 census.

The locations are Gloucester, Dublin, Belfast, Richmond, Warrington, Sale and Epsom.
There are several photos of family members in the RN.
If anyone can help me put these family memories into the right hands I would be very much obliged. If they would reply to this post , I will be contacted then I can supply more detailed information. David Shephard

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2015 15:46

duplicate posting - please delete - info on other posting

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 28 Nov 2015 08:27

Hello David,

I believe the Knot family are from Hucclecote, the name rings bells. There is a facebook page called Hucclecote Our history maybe a post on there could be useful.Or I could repost your message on your behalf.

Anne

David

David Report 28 Nov 2015 09:03

hello Another Ann in Gloucester!,
yes please, if you would be so kind as to post on the Hucclecote site that would be good. I'm afraid that I have not sampled facebook yet; think I shall have to sometime!

You could perhaps add that the lady who died in 200 in Hucclecote, whose photos these were was an Eileen Olive Sims, born in 1912

thanks again for the offer. You can contact me directly at [email protected] if you hear any more...(i'm guessing that any replies to facebook would return to yourself?)
Kind reagrds David

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 28 Nov 2015 09:16

Hello david,
I have done that for you now. If you don't mind me asking where abouts did your aunt live. I lived there from 1960 to 1980 but other family members still live there.
Anne