Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to work between ancestry and FMP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 28 Nov 2015 08:50

Hello all,
I have several trees on ancestry. Sometimes I am a member other times i'm not. Seeings that FMP had a good black Friday offer on I joined. I tried to export my tree from ancestry across to FMP but it failed.
I think I would be happier keeping my tree on ancesty and just using FMP for looking up information.
So what I am asking is would I have to save the information to my computer then add it to ancestry from there.
Many thanks
Anne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Nov 2015 10:16

Absolutely. You have to down load a copy of your tree from Ancestry in the form of a gedcom.
Then you have to upload it from your computer to FMP.
It's impossible to go straight from one site to another.

Even if you wanted to do the opposite, the same would apply.

With both, you can make independent entries for facts or events. If you wanted to attach images found on one to the other, then they'd have to be saved to your computer then uploaded to the other site.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 29 Nov 2015 14:50

Thankyou for the reply.
for some reason my gedcom file didnt upload properly it says it is being looked into by customer support.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Nov 2015 12:14

I suggest you only maintain one definitive tree, otherwise you will get yourself into all sorts of bother trying to keep things up to date.

I choose to keep mine on my PC using FTM and periodically upload 'throw away' versions to the various websites I use - tribal. genes etc..

Ancestry is slightly different as I use the sync facility on FTM which allows me to link the two together and keep them updated automatically.