Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any programmes compatible with Family Tree Maker?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 16 Dec 2015 21:46

Now that Family Tree Maker is becoming obsolete, are there any programmes that are compatible with it i.e. download all the media I have (not just the gedcom file)?

Many thanks

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Dec 2015 23:01

Is it really becoming obsolescent, or just no longer supported by Ancestry?

What are the problems that you're anticipating?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 16 Dec 2015 23:52

Well if it isn't supported by Ancestry then it will become obsolete. They will not release any new programmes and when Apple updates it's software, Family Tree Maker may not work on my computer in the future.

For example I have FTM for the Mac version 2, already there are issues with some of the tabs not working anymore when Apple updated its software

I really should buy version 3 and was thinking about it but what is the point if it is not going to be supported in the future.

I love FTM- have used it for years and years and years

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Dec 2015 09:36

Have a look at this - you probably won't be allowed to read it all in one go unless you are a member, but you can go back and read the rest another time:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/113294-FTM-to-be-retired

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 17 Dec 2015 17:40

Thank you :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Dec 2015 16:41

I've just spotted this link on the Ancestry blog - worth looking at before you change from FTM.
http://genealogytools.com/replacing-family-tree-maker-part-1-how-to-scrub-your-data/

Hugh

Hugh Report 3 Feb 2016 00:20

Ancestry have just announced that Family Tree Maker is being acquired by Mac Kiev Software. They will continue to publish and support it including syncing with Ancestry.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 3 Feb 2016 00:50

Thank you Hugh and Namelessone. Excellent news! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Feb 2016 09:13

Ancestry are also doing a deal with Rootsmagic:

New Family Tree Maker Options:
Since our Family Tree Maker announcement last December, we have continued to actively explore ways to develop and support Family Tree Maker and ensure you have choices to preserve your work in ways that matter to you.

Today, we are pleased to announce two options for desktop software that will work with Ancestry.

Software MacKiev

Software MacKiev, with whom we have a long-standing relationship, is acquiring the Family Tree Maker software line as publisher for both Mac and Windows versions. Software MacKiev has been the developer of Family Tree Maker for Mac for more than six years and is thrilled at the opportunity to publish future versions of Family Tree Maker for Mac and Windows.

This new agreement means you will receive software updates and new versions from Software MacKiev, and have the ability to purchase new versions of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev as they are released. You will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches, and be able to save your tree on Ancestry with Family Tree Maker moving forward.

RootsMagic

We have made an agreement with RootsMagic, a leading genealogy desktop software program publisher, to connect Ancestry with the RootsMagic software by the end of 2016. With this new relationship, RootsMagic can serve as your desktop family tree software, while having access to Ancestry hints, Ancestry searches, and the ability to save your tree on Ancestry.

We have heard your concerns and are working to provide the solutions you requested. These new agreements will make it possible to preserve your work on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker and enable future features and benefits to help you discover your family history. Be assured that Ancestry, in cooperation with Software MacKiev and RootsMagic, will continue to support you as you discover your family history.

We ask for your patience as we work diligently through all the details to make these solutions available. You can find additional details about these Family Tree Maker partnerships on our blog. We also encourage you to continue to check back on our blog for future updates in the coming months.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 3 Feb 2016 10:58

It is a pity they did not add the comment{ made later} "we are exploring other options" when the initial decision was announced-they have probably lost some customers-or was it a case of "people power" the reaction to the loss of FTM updates etc was enormous

I am pleased :-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 3 Feb 2016 11:07

Ancestrys Blog

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2016/02/02/good-news-for-users-of-family-tree-maker/

Julie57

Julie57 Report 15 Feb 2016 23:05

This is a very interesting thread. thanks Being new to family history and not very knowledgable about software, I purchased a sealed copy of version 4 family tree maker at a charity shop. I am aware this is very old, but will it still work? Or should I scrap it and await the new FTM software ?