Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Biblical Geneology

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 25 Jan 2016 07:30

Has any one in recent times taken an interest in biblical geneology?

Several centuries ago a scholar named Ussher devoted a great deal of effort to working out from the scriptures that the date of creation was autumn 4004 bc
He nails it down to a day. The subject seems to have been dormant since.

In modern times scientific scholars regard such findings as wrong, wrong by several billions of years. In the gospels of Matthew and Luke the geneology of Jesus son of Mary is listed.
These take him back through King David to the Patriarch's to Adam son of God.
Other interesting accounts list several people as having lived for hundreds of years.
Anyone interested in this subject? Any comments?

Kense

Kense Report 25 Jan 2016 07:47

There are many trees on Ancestry that include Adam of Eden. Not sure whether there are any here. You could do a search.

David

David Report 25 Jan 2016 08:18

-
HRH Queen Elizabeth Windsor1's tree goes back to Edward the Confessor,

When the average persons tree can only be traced back a couple of hundred years with accuracy it's intriguing that some can go back millennia.

David

David Report 25 Jan 2016 08:44

Interesting questions arise. How many generation from Adan and Eve
before incest becomes unlawful?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Jan 2016 09:41

The Royal lineage is well documented. The Rolls for the Plantagenets and the Tudors are available to view on Ancestry. A few years ago I used the Plantagenet Rolls to trace a friends line back to Edward III. Much to my chagrin, as I have only managed to get a few of my lines back to the 1600's.

Brief detail on Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Plantagenet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_period

Ancestry.
Source Information

Ancestry.com. Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002.
Original data: The Marquis of Ruvigny and Raineval, Melville Henry Massue. The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal Being A Complete Table of All the Descendents Now Living of Edward III, King of England. London, England: T.C. & E. C. Jack, 1905-1911.

About Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal

This database is part of a series called The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal which traces the descendants of Edward III, King of England (1312-77). Lines are traced out in descendency tables until about the middle of the 19th Century. The remainder of the database contains the descendents of the people last named in the tables laid out in order of primogeniture. For these more recent generations full birth, marriage, and death dates are given. Vital information is provided for people listed in the tables when possible. The following volumes are included in the database:
•George, Duke of Clarence (a fourth great grandchild of Edward III and brother of King Edward IV)

•Isabel, Countess of Essex and Eu (a third great grandchild of Edward III and aunt of George, Anne, and Edward IV)

•Anne, Duchess of Exeter (a fourth great grandchild of Edward III and sister to George of Clarence and King Edward IV)

•Lady Elizabeth Mortimer (a great grandchild of Edward III and wife of Henry Lord Percy, K.G. and then of Thomas, Lord Camoys, K.G.)

Kense

Kense Report 25 Jan 2016 10:34

There are a few members of Genes Reunited who have Adam (surname) and Eden (birthplace) if you search members trees. You could try to contact them.

There are a lot more whose trees include Jesus Christ born Bethlehem.

At one time you were not allowed to marry someone who shared an ancestor in the previous seven generations. How that was checked, I can't imagine..

David

David Report 25 Jan 2016 11:53

The 4th book of Moses called Leviticus details the number of men aged between 18 and 60 available for war,

How does that reconcile with thou shalt not kill

David

David Report 25 Jan 2016 11:58

you know I WAS SURE Christ was a title not a family name

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Jan 2016 19:12

Surely, if Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit then the only ancestry of interest would be that of Mary and I have not seen that chronicled anywhere.
Joseph should not get a look in at all.
So Matthew 1-17 is of no relevance.

David

David Report 26 Jan 2016 19:29

Mary the Mother of Jesus, blessed among women was a miracle herself.
Her parents prayed for a miracle, the result was Mary