Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census transcription query 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 25 Jan 2016 08:26

Looking at the entry for a Joseph Massey of Hopwood street, Warrington, Lancs. Shoemaker.
The transcriber has entered his age as 35, and therefore the date of birth is shown as 1815.

This man is shown on the previous census of 1841 at Church Street, Williamson Yard
as being 45, with three children. William aged 17, Mary aged 13 and Martha aged 8.
The last child appears to be on the 1851 census too, but listed oddly.

I have not found the baptisms /registration of the children who say they were born in Latchford.

Possibly married at Grappenhall to Hannah Taylor in 1822.

This is a confusing geographical area that changed borders, So one time Lancashire the other Cheshire.

But can anyone help with the transcription please or any other information -comments on the 1851 entry .?

Thank you

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Jan 2016 09:53

I'm pretty sure that the age on that 1851 census (Ancestry version) is 56.

Is Mary Taylor his daughter?

FindMyPast has fell into the same trap with the age and have mis-recorded Martha's relationship:

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Hopwood Street, Warrington, Lancashire, England

Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

James Taylor Head Married Male 26 1825 White Smith Warrington, Lancashire, England
Mary Taylor Wife Married Female 23 1828 Book Binder Latchford, Cheshire, England
Hannah Taylor Daughter - Female 1 1850 - Warrington, Lancashire, England
Joseph Massey Lodger Married Male 35 1816 Shoe Maker Knutsford, Cheshire, England
Martha Massey Lodger Wife Married Female 18 1833 Book Binder Latchford, Cheshire, England
Jane Massey Sister Unmarried Female 19 1832 Bookbinder Latchford, Cheshire, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jan 2016 11:21

?????????

Other information in the record of Henry Cooper and Martha Massey

from England, Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts

Name Henry Cooper
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 19 Nov 1851
Event Place Nether Knutsford, Cheshire, England
Gender Male
Father's Name John Cooper
Spouse's Name Martha Massey
Spouse's Father's Name Joseph Massey

malyon

malyon Report 25 Jan 2016 12:47

Joseph Massey
mentioned in the record of Joseph Massey and Martha Fielding
Name Joseph Massey
Spouse's Name Martha Fielding
Event Date 29 Jan 1824
Event Place Chorley,Lancashire,England

margaret

margaret Report 25 Jan 2016 13:41

Thank you for your observations on the census return and index.

Because of the name and location there are hundreds in the area of the same or similar details. So its hard sorting them all out.

I believe that this Joseph Massey is the eldest son (1796) of William Massey -shoemaker of Knutsford who died 1811. His widow Hannah More remarried, in 1812 at Budworth, Samuel Cox , coachman at Mere Hall. . taking with her the taking youngest child James Massey ( born 1809 ) to live there in the Lodge..

Since - if this is the case- Joseph would have been 16 at this second marriage, I think it safe to assume he was away from home - as an apprentice.

So the next possible is the marriage in 1722 to a Hannah Taylor at Grappenahll (when he is 26) she under age - with parents permission.

As the head of the household in Hopwood street is a James Taylor, I am presuming this is one of his wife's relations. who would have completed the form?

I have not yet located? all Joseph's children.

There seem to have been another daughter Hannah born 1831, who lives with her 'grandparents' at Mere Lodge from at least the age of 10. (1841 census).

So quite a lot to sort out.
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

margaret

margaret Report 25 Jan 2016 23:05

Thank you for your replies.
It seems there is an error on the 1851 census index , for Warrington. but this is the responsibility of the owners - who ever they may be.
I am advised to add a note to any tree I have on the web to this effect, as other sites do not have the right to alter the index.

The reference to Henry Cooper refers to a marriage at St John the Baptist of Knutsford, and the brides father is Joseph, but he is an AG Lab, in Knutsford. I think her brother Francis Massey is a witness.--so not my sought family.

Thanks again for looking - but still to find the baptisms of the children who claim they are from Latchford....

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 26 Jan 2016 13:52

Not sure if you have discounted the marriage of Joseph Massey & Martha Fielding but I am fairly certain it is not your as this Joseph was a hatter

Marriage: 29 Jan 1824 St Laurence, Chorley, Lancashire, England
Joseph Massey - Hatter, Bachelor, Wigan
Martha Fielding - Spinster, Chorley
Witness: Mary Rich; William Rich

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 26 Jan 2016 14:06

marriage of James Taylor & Mary Massey at Manchester Cathedral

Mary Massey
Birth Year: abt 1827
Marriage Date: 30 Oct 1848
Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
Father's name: Joseph Massey - shoemaker
Spouse's Name: James Taylor - smith
Spouse's Father's Name: Thomas Taylor - miller

witnesses William & Elizabeth Taylor

margaret

margaret Report 26 Jan 2016 15:31

Thank you all.

UKCensusOnline.com , have agreed that that entry for Joseph is problably wrong on the 1851 and he should be 55.
The daughter Martha appears to have married at St Wilfrid's, Grappenhall in April 1859 a man named William LINGBY.
The census of 1851, seems to indicate that the marriage you found at Manchester, for 1848 is the couple, which is the daughter Mary, another book binder, shown on the census where Joseph in lodging at Hopwood street. Though she appears to have died by 1871.

What I havnt found is the baptism for any of Joseph's children, who appear to be at least William, Mary, Hannah & Martha. and Jane? All saying they were born in Latchford.
I know that at 10 years old Hannah is living with grandparents at Mere Lodge. Mere. So Jane is missing too. from the Church Street address in 1841

Lots to look for, thank you for your considerable help.