Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie57

Julie57 Report 31 Jan 2016 11:29

Hi am new to this and enthusiastically started my tree, putting all my ancestors on. I hadn't realised that a second cousin has collect so much informantion and kindly sharing with me. I am now finding myself a bit overwhelmed and think I should have started several trees for different parts of the family. Am I able to copy and paste onto new trees?

Hugh

Hugh Report 31 Jan 2016 12:50

Unfortunately, GR only allows one tree per account.

Alternatives are :-

1) Get yourself software for a local (desktop) tree. Send your GR tree to yourself by email as a GEDCOM file. Create several copies in your new package to act as your separate trees. Delete the people who are not relevant in each tree.

2) Create several new free GR accounts using slightly different names for yourself.
Create separate new trees as above. Note you will not have the facility in the free accounts to contact other members or receive matches. Assuming your existing account is a paid one, you should maintain this with all relatives on it for the benefits of a paid account.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jan 2016 13:43

Further to Hugh's excellent advice, I strongly recommend that you have an offline tree anyway, with a back-up, because if anything goes wrong and you lose all your work, you will not be a happy bunny. :-( :-(

Also, please check your cousin's information, particularly if he/she hasn't got any form of proof. We all make mistakes or assumptions which later turn out to be wrong - that's OK so long as you don't copy other people's mistakes.

Family stories are frequently inaccurate/exaggerated and sometimes pure fiction!!

Good luck :-) :-) :-)

Julie57

Julie57 Report 31 Jan 2016 15:20

Thank you both hugh and andysmum ..some good advice, which I need to look into more, I obviously didn't read up enough before I started....was so excited seeing how easy it was to build a tree!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jan 2016 16:45

If you want to do some reading, a good (and very amusing and informative) place to start is with Jonesey's tips.

Near the top of this screen, KenSe has gathered together the links to lots of tips. Start with "Family Stories" and "Fact or Fiction".

Both threads are very interesting.

Julie57

Julie57 Report 1 Feb 2016 20:11

Thanks andysmum. Enjoying reading joneseys tips.