Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Writing on a birth cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 24 Feb 2016 18:55

I have a hand written copy of an entry of birth. I am unable to read an address on it.

Who would I have to contact to give me this detail?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Feb 2016 18:59

find someone who can read the handwriting!!

It's a problem that all of us face from time to time ............. a bit like reading a doctor's handwriting. :-)

You could upload the cert to your Keepsafe, allow anyone to see it, then ask on here for anyone who could help you

John

John Report 24 Feb 2016 19:50

I thought that the certified copies were taken from a main register. Which I thought would have clearer/typed writing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Feb 2016 20:27

do you want to pay, or get free help?

So far as I understand it, modern-day certified copies are NOT done by hand ............ they're mechanically copied, whether by a copy machine or digitised.

You are seeing the handwriting from the date of the registration.

Where did you get the copy from??

You COULD try contacting GRO or the local Registry Office, if you got it from one of those, or wherever you did get it from, and see if they can decipher the original. But, as I say, there might well be a cost.

John

John Report 24 Feb 2016 20:56

It is from GRO in 1999.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2016 21:33

Can you scan it onto your computer, then enlarge it to read more clearly?
If not contact GRO and ask them if they can provide a clearer copy.

1999 is probably a little early for the current form of word processors , hence the hand written version - on second thoughts, perhaps not. Strange, but perhaps equipment cost was a factor

As Sylvia said, you could upload to your Keepsafe and make Public, but if there is info regarding living people, ie the informant or surviving spouse, recorded then you may prefer not to.

John

John Report 24 Feb 2016 22:15

Thanks. I do not think I can make it public

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Feb 2016 22:37

The GRO have always been very good if I couldn't read something on a certificate. They are used to most of the writing and may be able to help you if you phone them.

Kath. x

John

John Report 25 Feb 2016 12:36

I contacted the GRO and because it was issued such a long time ago they could not check the writing. They only go back 3 months. I would have to apply for the cert again and if parts are still not readable then contact them.

Thanks for your help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Feb 2016 13:27

If you wanted to scan the certificate and send it in a private message I would be willing to have a look for you. I understand if you don't want to do this, but as I don't know you personally and therefore don't expect to know the person whose certificate it is I wouldn't think it would do any harm. I'll leave it up to you.

Kath. x

John

John Report 25 Feb 2016 19:02

Ok I have sent you a copy.