Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA/LIVING RELATIVES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brumborn

Brumborn Report 21 Jun 2016 13:35

I was adopted in the family but forbidden to talk about real deceased parents, I am older than them both now-saw an episode of family finders earlier-mentioned how this woman found her mums nephew as they both had results of DNA online. I do realise that possible relatives have to have their results on there also, but is it worth a try? Or am I going to be disappointed-where did she post the results? didn't say. Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jun 2016 14:01

If you've exhausted conventional means of finding birth relatives, there's no harm in trying DNA. As you've mentioned, it does rely on matches with other peoples submissions. You may find you’re matched with someone who shares a grt grt grandparent which isn’t quite what you are hoping for.

JoonieCloonie, it she spots this thread, might be able to advise on the best sites to use, although her interest is more of a historical nature than a current one.
……

Unless it would cause problems with those close to you, have thought of starting a thread on Find Living Relatives? Or do you already have one which drew a blank?

Brumborn

Brumborn Report 21 Jun 2016 14:42

Thanks. The only relative found is a cousin 14 years older than me-he said worth a try when I mentioned the dna, He isn't interested, although I am only relative also on that side of family. I will try the other thread later.Thanks

Brumborn

Brumborn Report 21 Jun 2016 14:45

I meant he isn't interested in finding others-I am different personality-I want family

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Jun 2016 20:02

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Us Brummies need to stick together!
Ta-ra a bit x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 22 Jun 2016 07:03

I have no experience or knowledge of locating relatives through DNA, but wondered if you've exhausted all other options in trying to trace family?

Can we help?

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Jun 2016 20:11

If you have found a cousin he presumably is a child of either your mother or fathers sibling!

Why not ask him to give you all the information on his family that he knows, his parents names,when born died, lived any aunts etc..Even if he is not interested one conversation/ email would help you out.

You could build a tree on Ancestry and see if any matches come up, if you are lucky you could find a contact, the person hopefully willing if not already done DNA test to take part, your results would show up as a match.

You do DNA test and get the listings of matches with people in other trees which then you contact I think by email, the matches show the relationship ie 1st 2nd 3rd Generation connection.

I saw a posting looking for relations of my gtgrandparents,a lady adopted by her grandparents only found her fathers name 20yrs ago she traced him but he denied her. Her DNA on Ancestry showed a match to my family name,i helped her identify the branch, she then found her "father's" mothers maiden name was my branch. She since found cousins who have a tree who agreed to have the test, DNA again shows match, "father" has now DNA record but still not in touch, at least she knows her family, this was in US