Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice re various websites please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tigsmum

Tigsmum Report 4 Jul 2016 16:37

Several of you gave me invaluable help recently and it is obvious that many of you are able to access information that I have been unable to find on Genes. My question is, do Ancestry, Find my Past etc all carry the same info or is it worth subscribing to one or more of them. I do use Familysearch and free BMD but have still drawn a blank in several cases.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jul 2016 16:49

I use Findmypast and in the past have used Ancestry. Lots of the records are the same but each website has records that others haven't got. It all depends on which records you are most interested in.

Findmypast and Ancestry both usually have a 14 day free trial period which is worth trying. They will ask for a credit card number and as long as you remember to cancel before the 14 days is up you should be fine. That way you can see which is best for you.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Jul 2016 18:56

UK libraries usually have access to Ancestry with an increasing number also having FMP. If you can visit your local Library or Archive, it might be worth trying them out for free.

Tigsmum

Tigsmum Report 5 Jul 2016 09:09

Thank you for that, I'll probably try both. I've just found a website (which you are probably aware of) called Parish Chest which allows you to buy transcriptions of complete Parish registers. Very useful if, as in the case of my husband's family, they all seem to have lived in the same parish for several generations!

Thank you, Sue

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2016 10:16

Good idea. You should also google the area/parish/county you are interested in. You never know what's free on the Internet.

Online parish clerks (OPC) can be useful
Deceasedonline for council cemetery burials or cremations - you have to pay to view the image but can get basic death/burial dates for free
Billionsofgraves & Findagrave might give details from headstones.

There are many family history societies with an on line presence. They often sell their own discs of transcriptions.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Jul 2016 13:22

https://www.cfhs.org.uk/

(if you mean Cambridgeshire, try above, or if you are local they have below coming up again this year, where you can buy cd's etc.)

2016 CFHS Family and Local History Fair
Saturday 22nd October 2016 at Girton Primary School

Chris :)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

(above free to use, was another used on your 'Thread', can be useful)

http://www.fenlandfhs.org.uk/

(another for Fen areas)