Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copy and Paste

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patrick

Patrick Report 25 Jul 2016 00:00

If you've "copied"details of a relative from a shared tree, how do you paste them into your own tree?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2016 05:55

You can't .they have to be put in manually one by one

Personally I wouldn't copy from anyone's tree ,would take info as a guideline and follow it up

You could ask the tree owner how they found the info .ie do they have certs ,census etc. But it easy to get sidelined with families who have the same names .

It's surprising how many marriages there are with the same surname combinations

Patrick

Patrick Report 25 Jul 2016 08:21

Thanks.
I just assumed that if there was a copy button there would naturally be a paste button. Not sure why you'd copy details if you couldn't paste them somewhere else.

At least I know now.
I am being careful what info I take from other trees as some of it doesn't scan.

Many thanks for the reply and good advice

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jul 2016 16:31

You can copy and paste using your mouse. Highlight the bit you want to copy, right click on it and click copy, then put the cursor where you want the info, right click and click paste.