Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 3 Aug 2016 20:15

I have a relatives tree on Genes Reunited which is much more advanced than my tree. Can you tell me how I could transfer this information onto my tree without manually inputting each ancestor? I would much appreciate any help.

Many thanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Aug 2016 21:51

Welcome to the boards, Zoe.

Ask your relative to download their tree as a GEDCOM and email you a copy of the file.

Then you can upload it to your tree, and it will overwrite what you've got there already.

But you should check first that your relative has proof of the info on their tree. There's no point in having a lot of information if it's maybe wrong, or guesswork.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=448&searchterm=gedcom

Importing Gedcoms
To load your file onto the site, click on the Family Tree button at the top of your homepage, then select Import Gedcom from the drop-down menu. This will take you to the import gedcom page. The site will add and update relations in your tree from information exactly as it is stored in your Gedcom file. If you upload your Gedcom file and the data is not displayed as expected in your tree then normally this is a result of a corrupted Gedcom file. We suggest that you open up the file with your family tree software programme and check the data. Please also make sure that the family tree is correctly exported as a standard Gedcom.
It is not necessary to remove your tree to allow an upload, but you can only upload one Gedcom per registration. If you import a file for one branch of your family and then import a second file, the first one will be automatically deleted and it is not possible to retrieve the data.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 4 Aug 2016 10:01

Warning. The GR system for Importing files is not functioning properly at present.

As of this morning I am still showing "Import pending" on my 'spare' account. This for a file I uploaded two days ago. And, yes, I did send an email to GR Support.

Related:-

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1360578

EDIT
Thank you for your email.

We are aware of an issue currently with the import and export of Gedcoms.

This requires a manual restart process and this will be done on a daily basis.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you can please check your tree status 1 working day after first starting the import or export and come back to us if you need any further assistance.

With kind regards,

Jenni Paton
Genes Reunited Support Team

Inky1

Inky1 Report 9 Aug 2016 12:10

Update.

I have just checked my spare account.
It is now showing status as Ready. No tree. So I guess that the .ged file that I imported had been wiped as part to the GR system correction. Will have another go at importing later on.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2016 20:09

Zoe - Before you overwrite your current tree, you should make a copy of what's there, i.e., export your current tree as a gedcom and save this on your PC. It wouldn't hurt to do periodically this whether you overwrite it or not. You could incorporate the date into the filename you save it as.

Zoe

Zoe Report 9 Aug 2016 23:12

Thanks for all that info. What I want to confirm is whether it is possible to either import his tree onto mine or mine onto his but without losing data from either? Am I going to have to manually type in details?

Thx

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 9 Aug 2016 23:50

If you import any tree onto yours, all your own info will disappear, to be replaced by the import. So the 2 trees can't be 'merged' as such.

So if 1 of those trees has a better set of info on it, you could import it to replace the other. Any other bits of info will need to be added manually. Hence the advice by mgnv to take a copy

Zoe

Zoe Report 17 Aug 2016 22:10

Thank you for your advice.

:-D

Inky1

Inky1 Report 18 Aug 2016 08:08

As of yesterday Tree Export is working but Tree Import is (still) not.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1361459?page=1

Kense

Kense Report 18 Aug 2016 19:10

I tried a GEDCOM import yesterday, it spent most of today saying "importing" but is now "Ready". My tree seems to be as it was, the new GEDCOM has been ignored.