Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susieinoz

Susieinoz Report 4 Aug 2016 08:40

I was looking for a marriage on the Scotland's People website. I found what I thought to be two separate entries for the same couple. The marriages were both in the same county but different parishes, though the parishes were adjacent to one another. The dates were about a month apart. Has anyone else had this happen and if so what does it mean? Thanks, Sue

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 4 Aug 2016 09:54

I suggest it is likely that one of the entries is banns, these were read in the parishes of both bride and groom. Scotlands People doesn't seem to differentiate between banns and marriage.
Anne

Susieinoz

Susieinoz Report 4 Aug 2016 13:10

Thanks Anne, I wondered about that too, but wasn't entirely sure. Sue

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Aug 2016 15:39

Here's a quote about Banns in Scotland and why they might be on different dates..

Proclamation of the Banns of Marriage

The banns (or notice of the proposed marriage) were proclaimed in the kirk before the congregation on three successive Sundays in case there was any impediment to the marriage. If the bride and groom lived in different parishes the banns were proclaimed in both although not necessarily on the same dates. As a result you will often find two index entries for your marriage search as the proclamation of banns were recorded in each of the respective Old Parish Registers.

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Aug 2016 01:33

If they had a child registered in 1855 or 1861 onward, then that child's b.cert will show the date and place of the parents' marr - see:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&628#Births