Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Download and Upload Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 2 Oct 2016 17:28

I've downloaded my Genes Reunited family tree and have it in my email and documents but after several unsuccessful attempts Ancestry.co.uk will not accept it as it has "does not appear to be a valid GEDCOM file. Can anyone help please. :-(

Kense

Kense Report 2 Oct 2016 21:23

I have just tried an export from GR and import to Ancestry and it worked (3000 entries).

Have you recently exported the tree from GR or is the file you are trying to import a GEDCOM that was produced some time ago?

What size is your tree?

Have you tried googling "does not appear to be a valid GEDCOM file" there are many responses to that which may help you.

Kense

Kense Report 2 Oct 2016 21:43

If you use Notepad to look at the first few lines of your GED file it should start something like this:

0 HEAD
1 SOUR GRUExport
2 VERS 3.0.6103.29019
2 NAME Genes Reunited
2 CORP Genes Reunited Ltd
1 DATE 2 OCT 2016
2 TIME 21:02:59
1 FILE XXX family tree.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR ANSEL

Can you confirm that?

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 3 Oct 2016 20:47

Thanks Kense, I'll do as you suggest and let you know how it turns out,

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 3 Oct 2016 21:09

Hi Kense, I don't use Notepad, there are about 2,300 in my tree and I have googled for info on the invalid GEDCOM but cant see anything that appears to relevant. I uploaded my tree Ancestry a couple of days ago. I have a feeling that I'm overlooking something that is blatantly simple. lol

Kense

Kense Report 3 Oct 2016 22:27

You can use Word to look at it.

You have presumably stored the email attachment in a directory such as Documents.

If you right click on the gedcom listed in that directory and then select Open With, it should offer you some apps which may include Notepad or Word.

Just select that app and it will open up the gedcom in a readable format, which should start similarly to the example I gave.

The size of your tree is quite reasonable so that shouldn't be a problem.

Robert

Robert Report 4 Oct 2016 14:54

I have had similar problems GR appear to have made a change recently and the exported file does no longer come down with a .GED format - I corresponded with GR over this for about a week and they seem to have given up on me as I have heard nothing for a few days now.

Since then I spoke to my son and he suggested renaming the file to for example

NEWTREE1.GED

and guess what it works - so try renaming as I have done and see what happens when you upload or use in your own software.

Kense

Kense Report 4 Oct 2016 23:00

If the file you are trying to import to Ancestry does not have a .ged suffix then that would probably explain it.

However the one the GR export software produced for me a couple of days ago did have a .ged suffix.

Is the problem the way your email handles attachments?

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 5 Oct 2016 20:29

Thanks folks, not sure what I did right but its worked, cheers