Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 17 Dec 2016 22:18

Does anyone know of any deals that are available for Ancestry please.

Chris

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Dec 2016 11:50

There are several threads about this. Just follow the advice given.

For example:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1357050

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1359835

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1358585

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Dec 2016 17:25

Thanks for posting those links ArgyllGran, saved me looking for them!

Just to summarize,

Sign out of any Ancestry account you now have.

Go to each of the Ancestry portals:

ancestry.co.uk (the worst prices always)
ancestry.com (not much better)
ancestry.ca (better)
ancestry.com.au (usually the best regular price)

go to www.xe.com to convert those prices into pounds so you can compare

take a subscription wherever the price is best

BUT

at the moment the special offer price link at ancestry.ca seems to be still valid

first, sign out of your ancestry account

go to this link

https://secure.ancestry.ca/Subscribe/Signup/Register/O-24217?rtype=11&flowId=11&o_xid=67792&o_lid=67792&o_sch=Email%20-%20Campaigns

180 CAD is 108 GBP

for worldwide -- and that is probably the best deal you will find

(if you go to ancestry.ca and ancestry suggests you go to .co.uk instead, say 'continue to ancestry.ca')

use a different email address to open a new account and subscribe at ancestry.ca for the special offer price

worldwide at ancestry.co.uk (the price I am being offered to renew at the end of this month) is £224.99

the worldwide subs at all the ancestry country sites get you exactly the same access

and you can use the sub from any of the sites to sign in at ancestry.co.uk (so you get searches and results that focus on the UK)

If anybody finds that the link is not working, let me know and I will have a look.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 19 Dec 2016 09:27

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm not a member of Ancestry, would I be able to import a copy of my tree if I signed up with them.

Chris

Inky1

Inky1 Report 19 Dec 2016 11:48

Chrissie,

Yes, you can import a .ged file. And you can have more than one tree on Ancestry.

Unlike on here, Ancestry trees can be public or private. So just remember to choose which during your upload. My 'prime' tree is on here. From time to time I download a .ged, which I then import into Ancestry - as a private tree.

As has been reported on earlier threads sometimes there are compatibility problems when transferring records from one FH program to another. In my case there has never been a problem uploading a .ged from GR into Ancestry.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2016 13:21

To upload a .ged file to Ancestry:

go to "Trees" at the top of the home page, select "Upload a GEDCOM", and follow the instructions.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 19 Dec 2016 16:42

Thank you both for your replies.

I think even I should be able to manage that.

Chris

patchem

patchem Report 19 Dec 2016 23:10

Is this of any use:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe?dna=crossAct&irpid=55537

or do you have to belong to Ancestry to see it?

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 20 Dec 2016 00:03

Thank you patchem.

I saw the same link on a Facebook Genealogy page about 15 minutes ago so have joined. Hubby was going to pay the £119.99 a couple of days ago so he's delighted I said I'd rather wait to see if I could get it cheaper. You have to sign in to see it so I used the details from when I was a member in 2014.

Merry Christmas to you all

Chris

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Dec 2016 14:57

interesting patchem -- that link says

'Offer available for new subscribers only and not for renewal of current subscriptions. After the initial 12 months, your membership will automatically renew at our standard prices for your chosen membership.'

but I'm seeing it when I'm signed in. Odd!

That offer is even better than the ancestry.ca one I linked to -- £89.99 rather than £108 (equivalent of the Canadian dollar price).

So I see a new account in my near future!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Dec 2016 18:26

I wonder how long the offer will be available.
If it 's still there in a couple of months, I'll make use of it.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Dec 2016 00:23

Thanks again Patchem!

I was expiring on 1 January, and ancestry.co.uk was offering me a renewal at £224.99 !!!

I signed out, because when I was signed in and clicked to continue with that offer, it just gave me the £224.99 price. :-P

So then I used the email address for one of my other dormant Ancestry accounts, and took up the offer you posted, at £89.99, which was better than the current offer at ancestry.ca (that I linked to above) of about £108.

An £18 saving, thank you. :-D <3

patchem

patchem Report 28 Dec 2016 09:10

Not me, really. A friend who no longer can post on genes but still reads the boards asked if someone could do the link for the greater good. Happy to be an intermediary.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 29 Dec 2016 22:07

And I passed it on to someone else, who leapt at it (he had not had an Ancestry sub before because of the cost) and he thanks your friend too!

My great-grandfather's brother married his great-grandfather's sister, and a cousin of his originally put us in touch via Ancesty 5 years ago. :-)

He has recently learned that his great-grandfather's first cousin (so, the first cousin of my great-great-uncle's wife) was Patrick Pearse, the leader and martyr of the 1916 Easter Rising.

All these things we find out today that probably the people themselves never knew during their lifetimes.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Dec 2016 14:07

Speaking of coincidences that the people themselves didn't know at the time -

I discovered that my father's father (though he didn't know that at the time either, as he hadn't yet met his future wife!) was in the same lodgings in 1911 as a brother of the paternal gr-grandfather of my cousin on my mother's side.

I wish I could go back and introduce them to each other as future relatives, and not just co-lodgers!

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 30 Dec 2016 16:21

It looks like the offer expires on 2nd January.

Chris