Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a date

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 17 Feb 2017 14:58

We are having a new headstone erected at a family plot due to my father just passing away.
I'm not really near the plot as i don't drive and i'm just trying to get the headstone lettering to the memorial people.
One of the names on the headstone is my brother Andrew Alan Barker who died before i was born. He died in June 1972 (born 10th April 1972)
Without going to the grave how can i find the actual date he passed? I'm not a member on Ancestry or FMP currently but just bought credits on FMP but it only gives me the quarter?
Thanks for anyones help.
Regards
Catherine

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Feb 2017 15:11

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

(if Sheffield, above is useful. Burial Records)

Chris :)

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

(you would need to order Cert. to get more details. £9.25)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Feb 2017 15:38

He was buried on the 19th June so I would expect the death date to be 7 - 10 days prior to that. As Chris says you could order the death certificate for the exact date or you could phone the reference library in Sheffield and ask if they could look at the local newspapers in the 2 weeks prior to 19th June 1972 to see if there was a family death notice which might give the exact date.

Kath. x

Catherine

Catherine Report 17 Feb 2017 15:39

I can't wait that long, need to send the details by tomorrow. Will have to visit the grave. Thanks anyway

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Feb 2017 15:59

The cemetery concerned should be able to say what date he died from their records I think. Very often on the deceased online site (he's not on there), there is a date of death and of burial/cremation. You obviously know which cemetery, so if you find out who holds their records, you may get some help.

Maureen

Maureen Report 17 Feb 2017 20:39

Catherine

The memorial firm should be able to find out from the Cemetery Dept, as they have to be registered to carry out work if its at a council cemetery and would be in regular contact.