Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 18 Mar 2017 19:48

Hello All,

Found my Grandad on the probate calendar....

it states - Johnson, Charles William - where he lived Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes and when he died 11 Feb 1992 but then says - Probate Newcastle Upon Tyne 26 Feb not exceeding 125000 and then a long number with a letter on the end...

Can anyone tell me what this actually means and if I can find out anymore about his will/probate.

Thanks for any help!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2017 19:51

Lots of probate offices closed so areas have designated probate offices you send the will for probate too

For instance I live in Kent and hubbies probate had to go to Brighton .sussex

Your grandads estate didn't exceed 125000 the nos at the end is probably the ref nos of the grant of probate

You can get a copy of the will from

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Costs £10 and you will get access to it online after about 2 weeks and can download it

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 18 Mar 2017 20:10

Thank you for the information Shirley !

I will get a copy of that.

It could be very interesting .... :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Mar 2017 22:09

Just to add - it isn't necessary to send a Will to the nearest Probate Office to the place of death or previous residence.
If the Executor or their solicitor lives or is based a distance away, they could chose the one closest to them.