Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me with the My Heritage site.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lemons

lemons Report 16 Apr 2017 10:34

Hi
I'm trying to join treebuilder on MyHeritage so that I can (hopefully) export my tree for my family to view.
Is there anyone that's familiar with that site
Thank You Angie :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2017 10:41

Under my trees there is an option to make a gedcom and export it .but I believe you need another tree programme to import it into

lemons

lemons Report 16 Apr 2017 15:33

Ok.. I saw option to send to my email ..tried that but it wouldn't open. I don't have another site to send it to..I want to share the site tree with my family but can't do it. Thanks very much for your help
Angie

Kense

Kense Report 18 Apr 2017 09:24

I believe there are free Family Tree programs on the web which will enable you and your family to read the GEDCOM file.

If you are going to continue to research your tree it may well be worth investing in a family tree program Having uploaded your GR GEDCOM to it, you can maintain that tree and upload a GEDCOM from it to your GR tree (which it will replace).

Family tree programs usually have many different formats available for you to share the information with others.

By the way, you can open the GEDCOM file using Notepad as it is a text file. It is effectively a list of instructions to the application software so will not make a lot of sense.

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 10:41

Thanks..is any information lost when transferring to Gedcam..Will GR tree remain the same.
Where would I get a family tree program. Any recommended?
Angie..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Apr 2017 12:23

The tree will remain the same. Some details may get mangled or lost if the gedcom is incompatible to the programme you choose. Basic relationships won't be effected. Or at least they shouldn't.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Apr 2017 14:12

If you have photos or links in your tree then they will not appear on the GEDCOM, you will have to add photos to the new tree and take whatever action is necessary for the links.

Compatibility problems going from GR to another program usually involve dates. It shouldn't be a problem if you have specified them as GR recommends. It is going from another platform to GR where most problems occur.

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 15:35

Thanks..Ive had a look at a site called my Heratage..if I download there tree builder would I then be able to use Gedcom to transfer my family tree.Does anyone know. If there would be a charge.
Thank you
Angiep

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Apr 2017 15:53

There's no charge to download your gedcom nor, as far as I'm aware, from any site.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Apr 2017 16:31

This link explains how to do it:
http://helpcenter.myheritage.com/Family-Site/Family-Tree/634030922501487903/How-do-I-import-a-GEDCOM-file-to-my-family-site-on-MyHeritage.htm

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 17:04

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 19:33

Hi I'm trying to set up a site on heritage but can't get past the site address wanted. It keeps rejecting. Do you have to put MyHeritage.com at the end?
Thanks yet again
Angie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Apr 2017 19:37

Try this
https://www.myheritage.com

Just click on the link above

If you wanted free software to open the gedcom on your own computer, you could trial this
https://familysearch.org/apps/product/rootsfinder/web

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 19:54

I'm trying to register..not sure what heritage mean by site address when setting up the site. They keep rejecting the names I'm giving.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Apr 2017 20:04

Neither do I!

If you still want to upload your gedcom, what happens when you follow the links to Start your family tree, followed by Browse (to find it on your home computer)?

You can choose to download free software if you want to keep total control
https://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 20:11

I've not got that far. I'm trying to get in to set up and gave all details but where they ask for me to put in a site address (for other family to link to to see site) it keeps kicking back,not acceptable.
I'm not sure if they want me to put an email add in. I've tried various names, case etc but no joy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Apr 2017 20:25

To attract the attention of GR members who use Myheritage, it might be best to alter the thread title.

Go to your first post and click Edit. Alter the title to say eg Help with MyHeritage pls

lemons

lemons Report 18 Apr 2017 21:20

Ok Thanks