Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast query please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Sep 2022 16:06

Good afternoon. I'm new to Findmypast. I've purchased a 1921 census image and added the two ancestors on it to my tree. However, when i go to the profile of either person the 1921 record is not there, but appears as a hint. If I click the link I'm taken to the page to purchase the image. Not sure what I've missed. Could someone clarify please?
Thanks in advance,
Ron

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Sep 2022 16:14

I would guess that , unless the people have distinctive names, the FMP algorithm can't be sure that the 1921 record is for the correct person, and therefore only suggests it as a possibility.

But as I don't have a sub to FMP, and only use it for the 1921 census, that is only a guess!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Sep 2022 16:35

‘Profile’…where?

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Sep 2022 16:49

Hi Erika, when I go to my tree, if I click on any person there's a link that says view full profile which takes you to a timeline of the person and all of the records saved to that person.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Sep 2022 17:17

I'm not sure how census records can appear in a person's timeline

Timeline is for events in the person's life..................

There is nowhere as far as I can see for one to add census info to an individual's record

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Sep 2022 17:24

I agree and that's where the details are shown, for example, birth, marriage and death, census etc. My query is why all of the other events are shown, but not the 1921 census that I've purchased. I think I will have to wait until Tuesday to contact the findmy past help team can explain.
Thanks for your comments anyway.
Ron

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Sep 2022 18:06

It certainly makes sense to ask the people whose website it is.

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Sep 2022 18:14

ps when you buy a new record there is a link to add it your tree. The next page allows you to add not only the person you found when searching, but any other person who was associated with that record, for example other members of the household who were present on census day.
Once I resolved this with findmypast's help desk I'll give details on this thread if you're interested.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Sep 2022 18:52

That would be good……thanks

Ronald

Ronald Report 21 Sep 2022 21:15

Hi Erika,

I contacted the findmypast support team about my query. They explained that in order to include details on the timeline you have to navigate to the person's profile and click the 'facts and events' tab. Then click the 'add fact' link and you have to enter all the details manually!! Then when you look at the timeline the details show on it.

I can't believe how long winded this process is. The same process in Ancestry is so much easier, but of course they don't yet have the 1921 census records.

Take care,

Ron

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Sep 2022 10:41

Thank you, Ron. Appreciate your taking the time and trouble