Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lide/Lyde of Motcombe Mere and West Knowle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 9 Feb 2023 15:36

Hi any information on this Lide/Lyde family would be welcome. I have Joseph son of Thomas bap 1660 Mere. I have a raft of children found in PRs and the will of Joseph Lyde bap 1691 death 1754. Thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Feb 2023 15:47

What information are you looking for,? You have given very little information. I assume you are talking of Mere, Knutsford.

Having found a raft of children have you looked for their marriages and deaths in the PR's.

Have you used the free sites - family search and freereg. Have you looked to see if anyone has them in their trees? Have you looked for more family wills at the National Archives?

These are all places you could look for yourself instead of asking other people to do it for you..

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Feb 2023 15:47

I assume you've worked back through the generations to Joseph?

If you're hoping for anything earlier than 1660, I'm afraid you're likely to be disappointed. There's not much in the way of records from as long ago as that.

The 1660 baptism, for our reference:

Joseph Lyde
in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: Joseph Lyde
Baptism Date: 15 Jan 1660
Baptism Place: Mere, Wiltshire, England
Father: Thomas Lyde
FHL Film Number: 1279350
Reference ID: item 1

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Feb 2023 15:54

Seems to be a lots of places called Mere. But AG seems to have the right one.

Wiltshire archives are worth a look as they seem to have some Lyde pspers.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Feb 2023 22:21

How did you work back to 1660?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Feb 2023 09:11

There are quite a few trees on Ancestry that include this Wiltshire name, will be worth going through them to see if the coincide with yours.