Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Kelly of Canty Bay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 1 Apr 2023 18:50

I follow the line of the Kelly's of Canty Bay - North Berwick .
They were a long line of fishermen.

It is said they come from Ireland. I'd love to know which part of Ireland.

My Ancestor James Kelly Circa 1774 Married Janet Whitecross.

I would like to find out all I can on this couple, as my DNA shows the Kelly's to be irish not Scottish

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Apr 2023 19:39

It is extremely difficult to find someone from Ireland without having a clue of where they cam3 from. DNA matches should lead you to an area.

Have you done any reasearch?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Apr 2023 10:34

Connected - very loosely

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1401415

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Apr 2023 12:51

There seems to be a lot on the internet about the similarity of Irish and Scots dna. Might be worth taking a look.

Kelly

Kelly Report 3 Apr 2023 18:37

Hi there I have a DNA test done as a gift through Ancestry. I don't understand the results.

But I knew Mum was Irish and had taken 5 generations on Dads family back to North Berwick. Yet Dads is showing more irish than scottish.

I have found an old book stating the Kelly's came to North Berwick from Buckhaven Fife just across the water, but there has to be an Irish connection.

My dads side were golf professionals and fishermen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Apr 2023 18:41

You need to do the research. That’s the only way to get answers.

Good luck

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Apr 2023 19:14

Kelly -

Online records only go back so far, and the Irish connection may be from much longer ago .

In any case, Irish records are notoriously patchy.
I suspect you'll never find the answer you hope for.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Apr 2023 20:15

Don’t forget that Ancestry can only work on the data they have, that is why they update the ethnicity amounts one has every year. Over the years I have had some bigs changes.
It can be quite difficult to sort the Scots and Irish DNA - there was a lot of movement back and forth over time.

Kelly is like,to be a nightmare name to research but unless your father has/had his DNA tested you don’t know whether his irish inheritance is actually from his father or his mother.