Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

changed name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Mar 2006 19:46

Why would someone have changed their entire name? I have been searching for ages after finding that Mary Ellen Wallis married a John Thomas Dovener in 1889. They appeared on the 1891 census as Danner with a 3 mnth old son Thomas William. I have recently acquired a certificate that shows that Mary Ellen had children to someone else later on - can't find the marriage though but on one of the birth certifs it states that she was Wallis now Pitts late Roundhill. No mentin of Dovenor.I have found the family on the 1901 and her husband is John T Roundhill and the child that would be 10 at this census is called James Roundhill. I am totally convinced that these are the family Ive been looking for Mary Ellen came from Bridlington, but why would they change surnames and why change the sons name? Help please - anyone got any ideas I could ponder on??? Avoiding the rent man????????? Thanks in anticipation Deb

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 18 Mar 2006 19:49

what makes you think it is the same family, other than her birth place? ok, got the 1st marriage John Thomas Dovener 1889 Jul-Aug-Sep Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding Of Yorkshire Mary Ellen Wallis 1889 Jul-Aug-Sep Leeds (1837-1929) West Riding Of Yorkshire **how old was John Thomas when they married?

Merry

Merry Report 18 Mar 2006 19:52

Oh Joy of Joys.....a result at last.....I thought I recognised those names on your other thread!! Surname Forename Spouse District Page No Event Quarter Year Pitts William Roundhill Leeds.9b 1108 Marriage 2 1915 Spouse Mary E Roundhill Merry

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Mar 2006 20:14

1901 Holbeck Yorkshire John T Roundhill abt 1867 Leeds, Yorkshire, Head Mary Ellen Roundhill 1870 (birthplace looks like Bridlington Quay) James Roundhill abt 1891 Leeds, Yorkshire, Son John Roundhill abt 1895 Leeds, Yorkshire Ellen Roundhill abt 1897 Leeds, Yorkshire daughter George Roundhill abt 1899 Leeds, Yorkshire, Son Harry Roundhill abt 1900 Leeds, Yorkshire, Son

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Mar 2006 20:28

Merry you wonderful person!! I feel that I'm making some headway at last. Was just thinking how miserable to be home alone on a Saturday night when I've made some excellent discoveries today! Glad I've stopped in!! Thanks all Deb

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Mar 2006 20:33

Jess - on the marriage certif John Thomas was 22 but it also says that Mary Ellen was 21 when she was only 19 - born in 1870 Deb

RubyAbi

RubyAbi Report 26 Jul 2016 09:15

My grand father was James William Roundhill born 1890 to John Thomas Dovenor Roundhill and Mary Ellen Wallis the eldest son in the family.
John Thomas was the illegitimate son of Alice Roundhiil and I presume John Dovenor who lived in the area. They had 2 further daughters Amelia and Annie(who died as a baby) but never married or lived together as far as I can tell
Mary Ellen 'married' William Pitts in 1915 but John Thomas didn't die until 1921! They had 2 daughters together before they 'married' and a 3rd after but she died aged 2.
I have other information on the family if you are interested please get in contact

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Jul 2016 09:37

RubyAbi - This thread is over 10 years old, and Deb may well not be checking it.
Try clicking on her name and sending her a private message - she'll be notified if she's still got the same email addy.