Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PENN, SOMERSET

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 5 Apr 2004 09:31

I have an ancestor born Penn Somerset, but cannot find it on my map or on multimap has anyone any ideas where it is or whether it is short for anything else? KIM

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Apr 2004 10:07

There is an area of Yeovil called Pen Mill. Don't know if it's relevant. You can find it at http://www.old-maps.*co.uk/ (remove *)

Crista

Crista Report 5 Apr 2004 10:15

Kim, What is the name on? A census or birth certificate? Could it be Kenn? Crista

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 5 Apr 2004 10:42

Could be East or West Pennard not far from Shepton Mallet. Malcolm

Trish

Trish Report 5 Apr 2004 11:42

The only Penn I know is in Buckinghamshire

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 5 Apr 2004 12:44

Greeting's Kim. . . . . There's a Penn and Penn Cross North of the A35 between Axeminister and Charmouth. near to Monkton Wyld Both are on the old maps site. But it's close on the border of Dorset and Devon and Somerset. So there could be a conflict as to which country it's in. Hopes this helps you. Geoff. . .the locals call that area " Mudford " my daughter lived next to the Pen Mill. MIKE.

Kim

Kim Report 5 Apr 2004 14:03

Gosh, thankyou for all your replies. The man was a fisher man living in Brighton called George Welch b 1821 according to 1881 census, it just says Penn, Somerset, can't find him on 1891 or 1871 suppose he was out fishing or in Jersey, where his wife came from. Not sure which town would be correct they have his wife down as from Gronville Derby on the 1881 when it should be Grouville Jersey , must have been difficult handwriting to read !!! Thankyou for all your suggestions just have to see if I can find any more Welchs! Kim

John

John Report 5 Apr 2004 23:10

..... and there is a hamlet called Penn Elm or Pen Elm near Norton Fitzwarren just to the West of Taunton. John

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Feb 2015 16:44

Hi

I appreciate this is an old post but I have just come across this. I have a similar issue with an ancestor and have concluded it probably refers to Pennsylvania in North Somerset.

Would be interested if this means anything to you.

Kindest regards
[email protected]

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Feb 2015 16:54

Debbie you should remove your email address as its against T&C ,s of the site to post personal info

Graham

Graham Report 17 Feb 2015 00:19

Looking at the original image of that census record; it is difficult to read the hand-writing. I think it could be a transcription error; but I'm unsure what it is supposed to say.

I've lived in Somerset all my life and have never heard of Penn.

Graham

Graham Report 17 Feb 2015 00:22

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/12308767

Graham

Graham Report 17 Feb 2015 11:24

On the original image of that census record it looks as if George's surname was Welsh. There was a George Welsh born in Stoke Abbas in 1822.

From Ancestry:

Name: George Welsh
Baptism Date: 4 Aug 1822
Baptism Place: Stoke-Abbas, Dorset, England
Father: John Welsh
Mother: Ann
FHL Film Number: 1239246

Stoke Abbas is now called Stoke Abbott. Near there is a wood called Penn Coppice. I wonder if there might be a connection... :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2015 22:24

interesting discussion ....................

but the original poster will never see it, as she is shown as having 0 posts ................... ie, she has left GR

Graham

Graham Report 28 Feb 2015 16:25

I just had a brainwave! I bet it's suppossed to say Kenn (a village near Clevedon). :-)