General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone stayed in Galway City? - updated 22/9

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2009 16:16

Should this be on general? Both seem the same nowadays :-)

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 24 Aug 2009 16:26

No

Sorry I seem to be having a mad half hour

Deb K

Edit

Have you been or are you thinking of going ?

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 16:52

Hi Joy, I am going in 6 weeks time, 10 miles south of Galway City. No idea what to expect, lol....but by all accounts it is supposed to be a lovely city.

Maggie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Aug 2009 17:02

Don't think it matters which board it is on Joy. No never been, shall wait and see what you think of it.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2009 18:04

Have a lovely time, Maggie, shall miss you by a few weeks.

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 18:36

Thanks Joy, I am staying at Kinvara, quite close to the Arran Isles, so that is a must I reckon ! I have a feeling that a week will not be long enough.

Maggie

tinaj

tinaj Report 24 Aug 2009 19:34

Hi
We had a week in Galway 2 year ago. Our cottage was at Inveran, a few miles west of Galway and right at the water's edge. Like you, we were quite close to Arran - there was little airport nearby that did a shuttle service to Arran so we went there for a day, hired some bikes and toured the island. We were very lucky with the weather (it was Easter) - glorious sunshine, and had a wonderful day.

The scenery around there was beautiful - connemara national park especially so. The locals were friendly and welcoming, and the whole holiday was relaxing - even with 2 children in tow. We spent a lot of time on the pebble beaches because we had children with us.

I would definintely go back again - it's a fabulous part of the world.

I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did.

Tina x

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 19:41

Thanks for that Tinaj. I plan to suss out the Arran Islands as soon as I arrive. I thought though that you get there by boat?? I love islands, having done most of the Scottish ones, they are next on my list.

Maggie

tinaj

tinaj Report 24 Aug 2009 20:00

Hi Maggie

You probably do have to go by boat from most places, but their is a little airport in Inverin which does short flights a few times a day on quite little planes seating 10/12 people. We really enjoyed the flight (especially the children.) You get a spectacular view of the coastline - even though there are wings and wheels is the way - have a look at this website

http://www.aerarannislands.ie/

Location of Connemara Regional Airport
Near the town of Inverin, 17 miles west of Galway City.

Tina x

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 20:38

Oh thanks Tina for that, just been on a virtual tour of the Arran Islands. It looks so peaceful, It is a definite

Maggie

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸ Report 24 Aug 2009 20:40

i have .we stayed at the quays .and it was lovely.fantastic town .was hoping to do tree .but got lost in he moment.xxx

tinaj

tinaj Report 24 Aug 2009 20:42

Just seen your posts on the Scotland thread - Skye is one of the best places I have ever been to. We seem to like the same places, so hopefully you will love Galway too

Tina x

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 21:13

Thanks Tina....This year I have really missed Skye, but felt the need the go somwhere different, thats why we chose Galway. Although we stayed at loch Awe earlier it wasn't the same, although beautiful. The journey over the Skye bridge brings goosebumps,,,lol. A long time after to travel to Glendale, after stocking up at Broadford, but well worth the journey. But really looking foward to Kinvarra.

Maggie

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Aug 2009 21:14

Joy, where is the quays please?

Maggie

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 25 Aug 2009 08:08

Thanks. Flights are booked, just got to book accommodation :-)

Maureen

Maureen Report 25 Aug 2009 10:43

Hi Joy,
I am from Galway, and you wont be disapointed. Kinvara is a good bit away from Galway City and surrounding areas so I would advise you to hire a car. If you have not booked accomadtionyet I would advise you to google Loughrea hotel and Spa. Loughrea is about 45 minutes from Kinvarra but so much cheaper at this time of year. Loughrea is also on the main Galway to Dublin road so you wont be confined to one area if you dont get the weather. It has rained for days here. Once in Galway City you have cinemas, the Museum, swimming pools , Shopping centres and there is always loads to do. hope you have a really good time,
Maureen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Aug 2009 13:12

We holidayed near Galway a few years ago. A little place called Ballyquirke.

Took the boat trip to one of the Arran Islands - having read my J M Synge I really wanted to go there - hired bikes and cycled around for most of the day. Fabulous and sooooo quiet.

(On the boat on the way back from whichever Arran Island it was, apart from seeing seals up close, there was a practice run by the coastguards (I think) where they lowered a chap from a helicopter onto the boat and then picked him back up again - so all very interesting!)

Loved it. Loved the proper Guiness and the white pudding (as opposed to black pudding). Would love to go back ...

Jill

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 25 Aug 2009 22:52

Thank you. Accommodation nearly sorted :-)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 28 Aug 2009 16:28

I shall be staying at the Victoria Hotel.

I shall visit Athenry, Moor Park, Killererin and Turlough, Co. Mayo, as well as exploring Galway City.

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 28 Aug 2009 19:20

Enjoy Joy, I will be going in 4 weeks,to Galway, can't wait.!

Maggie