General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh goody, price reduced

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Mar 2015 18:34

So now the Government can afford to vaccinate babies against meningitis.

Considering the terrible losses because of this illness, and the cost to help children who lose limbs or part of limbs, or suffer hearing loss etc, wasn't it false economy to delay using this vaccine? Not to mention the emotional side of the situation when a child dies or is effected profoundly.

There must be a way to safely keep the costs down on medication charges from the pharmaceutical companies on all drugs that would save lives and/or prevent suffering.

Lizx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Mar 2015 18:52

thank goodness for that - long overdue - you can't put a price on a life or health

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 29 Mar 2015 18:56

Pharmaceutical companies are just interested in making huge profits.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 29 Mar 2015 19:04

Pharma companies have to make profits to fund research - no research, no new drugs.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Mar 2015 19:28

I think you'll find a lot of charities fund the research/help fund the research.
Some of them even state this in their names eg, Cancer Research!!

Oh, and the Meningitis Research Foundation.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 29 Mar 2015 19:38

Meningitis Research Foundation have paid millions, as have other Meningitis charities.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Mar 2015 20:15

..so a lot of research is paid for by charities, and the pharmaceutical companies still overprice their drugs :-|

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Mar 2015 22:23

And who is it who donates to charities - the public most of whom pay taxes too. Apparently this vaccine could have been available a year ago if the price could have been agreed.

How many children have died or been left disabled in that year? Seeing those little ones on tv learning to cope with no fingers or hands, no feet or legs, when they were born whole is heartbreaking and I can only imagine how devastated their families must be.

There always seems to be enough money for frivolous things.

Liz

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 29 Mar 2015 22:52

We lost a Grandson to this horrid illness 20years ago, so forgive me standing on my soapbox.

We all know that some pharmaceutical companies overprice their drugs, you only have to look in the supermarkets/poundland/chemists to see that.

When they had the new vaccine ready to go it should have done so, to help prevent any more precious children suffering.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Mar 2015 22:57

Not saying they charge too much, but under a scheme limiting the amount of profit pharmaceutical companies make out of the NHS, the pharmaceutical companies had to give the NHS a £74million rebate!

http://www.pharmafile.com/news/189129/government-gets-74m-rebate-pharma

...don't suppose the rebate went directly to the NHS, though :-(

Graham

Graham Report 30 Mar 2015 00:10

I'm normally against nationalisation; but I think there is a strong case for nationalising the pharmaceutical industry. Profit should not be put before human life.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Mar 2015 01:53

Carol, my deepest sympathy, I am sorry to have opened your wounds.

I too don't think the rebate went where it should have, and yes, something should be done to get vaccines and any medication to where it's needed as soon as possible, no faffing about negotiating prices.

Liz

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Mar 2015 08:58

...and how much are the people who faff about negotiating prices paid?

...not that I'm totally fed up with excessively paid jobs being 'created' :-D