General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hope this is good advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2016 22:40

Having just done lots of paper work after hubby passed away end Oct. I realise what a lot needs to be done and it's stressful after losing a loved one

I realise that our daughter won't know what she needs to do when I pass as she lives 30 plus miles away . I do lots on the Internet too with direct debits etc .

I get a personal pension and will now get a widows pension from Fords who hubby worked for as well as a small pension that he paid in for with an AVC ,as well as state pension

I have also done the house change into my name only as we were tenants in common

Soooo I am putting together a file for what needs to be done when I go !!!

It means all the info is in one place so daughter,who is my executor and sole beneficiary will know who she has to contact with account nos etc . I am photocopiing all the current papers and putting a copy in the file as well as my will and the papers I had to fill in for probate and where to send it
Am also putting passwords in for what is online

I realise it's a big job when someone dies and the executor needs to know where to start.

In doing this I hope it makes things easier .

Like making a will you do it ,file it away and forget about it as its not tempting fate

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Jan 2016 23:28

I was in this position over 4 years ago ,Shirley.
It's not easy,so I completely understand you.the nearest of my family live 90 miles away and son in Oz.We were tenants in common too and now half my house belongs to son in Oz.I am constantly keeping ,or trying,,,to keep all documents in order.

I have been sorting some files in cabinet today,and shredding etc

If I was renting and had no savings or private pension ,I wouldn't have this worry.
We all want to make things as simple as possible,but find that laws change and we have to keep up..

.just had a problem with death certificate and will being apostilled. ..that's because of a property in Spain...even my solicitor was a bit puzzled at that ,but I suppose they have to be sure we are who we say we are!

You will get there,but it is time consuming!.
:-) <3 <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jan 2016 23:54

My mum did a similar thing, Shirley, and as she lived in Portugal - it was a life-saver for me and my siblings.
One of the most difficult things was dealing with the bank - and we only had a week.
We also knew that it would be very difficult to deal with the bank after we'd left Portugal.
We learnt from the solicitor, the best thing to do was to slowly remove money from her account before the bank froze it - but we didn't know her PIN number.

Fortunately, we found a small phone number storer, and I noticed one of her (deceased) dogs had a phone number!!
My sister and I were down the bank immediately - YES! it was her PIN number.

My sister & I both have our PIN numbers on our mobiles as phone numbers (but not under the names of dead pets), with the local code in front, so it looks like a 'proper' number. When we 'pop our clogs', our children will have to work out if we really have a friend called eg 'Charles Windsor' (I do, so that's not my PIN) :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Jan 2016 23:59

My Mother made a list of what she wanted.

Just in case the list got "lost" she put it somewhere "permanent".......... she wrote it on the back of a chest of drawers, using a permanent marker!

One person in the family knew there was "something" on the back, but we had no idea until it was moved. In all the sadness of losing Mum, it gave us a good laugh.

<3

btw...... it's Mum's birthday today <3

Edit.......... today, 21 January.. Oz is ahead of UK time shown here

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2016 00:11

:-D LadyScozz - that's the sort of thing I should do.
I may have my PIN number for my children to find, but the rest of it...........

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jan 2016 00:30

My aunt died telling everybody that her daughter, who actually had no idea, knew where everything was.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2016 01:01

Sounds like me.
This year:
'Well you knew X Y & Z were there last year.
I've had a clear out since, though.'

Next year:
X, Y & Z are now THERE!!!!!!

'They're in the Drawer, well, they were last year, or the year before. Now they're in some carrier bag or other under my bed - you know I just empty the overfull drawers into a carrier bag every 2 years, and shove them under my bed'

If you know my 'system' you know where to find everything!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jan 2016 12:30

I wrote out a list of where everything is kept, starting with spare house keys, and including everything I could think of.

I update it at intervals (mainly Savings Account details) and it is on the computer.

Both sons have copies and OH can access it easily.

I finally persuaded him to do one as well, because although I know where all his stuff is, working it all out would be time-consuming. He belongs to all sorts of things, and has done his list in 4 sections - To do immediately, fairly soon, later and not really necessary, but you might want to!!

I agree with Shirley, and strongly recommend it, along with writing a Will.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Jan 2016 22:25

How sensible! O.h. will have a problem when things come to an end with, his father as he has an office full of paperwork and altho he has writren a wilI there is one of those equity loans on the property and tons of stuff to sort out.

I Have made a will and written about some things but need to make more lists for my son. Must get on with it all soon, just in case

You sou nd as tho you are coping very well Shirley, I hope as ghe days lengthen you can enjoy getting out and making new routines and pleasures for yourself

Lizxx