General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is It Just Me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jan 2016 09:13

The following is a C&P from one of Australia's Electronic News sites:

"The best places to be for Australia Day will be Adelaide, which will be mostly fine and partly cloudy with highs of 28C, and Perth, which will hit 32C and see some cloudy conditions in inland coastal areas."

I'm intrigued as to what constitutes an 'inland coast area' :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jan 2016 09:17

I have a cousin in Adelaide - I'll just pop across and ask her ;-)

an inland coastal area? hmmm - er - um -

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jan 2016 09:23

I'm not sure where I live now :-D

I thought that we were on the cost, but obviously not :-0

It must be true; it was in a newspaper :-D :-D

They've probably devalued the property price! :-| :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jan 2016 11:32

At a guess I should think it could be areas that are not described as seaboard, ie right on the coast.

I'm sure someone will look it up though and come up with a sure definition of inland coast.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jan 2016 12:33

My niece lives in Tasmania.Is that coastal ? She would love to see 32 C. Thanks to neglecting a basic study of Oz geography before taking her contract hot sunny Christmas on the beach hasn't been quite according to plan. The end of last year was not much warmer than her native Cornwall where it was alleged to be winter.

Anyway she is moving to Brisbane. Some like it hot.

Australia a far off land stuck in the future of which we know little except that it is inhabited by neighbours, crocodiles and men who can throw small red balls very fast. There are less and less of them in London the ubiquitous Oz drinking holes now the haunts of Polish grocers.

All youo need to know about Perth where the bottom has dropped out of the property market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhVX7GSw8I

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jan 2016 13:09

JoyLouise, just Googled it and no result, just see definitions for either coastal, or inland.

Rollo, I could cheerfully live in Tas, either on the coast or inland .It does tend to be a bit chilly, particularly in the Alpine areas.

Although my daughter was born in the UK we left when she was only two. Her first sighting of snow was on Mount Wellington in the mid 1990's, when I went to a conference in Tas.

Of course, after Perth, I could cheerfully move to Tasmania, particularly with the recent bushfires that we've had, which destroyed the town site of Yarloop :-(

Oh! Hang on:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-20/fire-crews-take-advantage-of-improved-conditions/7100040

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jan 2016 13:32

Not surprised about Perth, Rollo.

Land salination and distance from a larger variety of employment must have been problematic - it always put me off settling there. Added to that, as you will know, recent fires have shown how quickly it is for the city to be almost isolated.

I do have some good friends living in and around the city and they have settled there from the eastern states. I'm not sure whether Perth has free travel in the inner city area still - something I thought was a super idea that other states ought to copy (wishful thinking, of course). Someone will be sure to post an update on this.

I think most migrants to Perth are tempted by the warm weather (can be too hot though) and cheaper housing than what they've been used to.

A few decades ago Queensland's housing was relatively cheap too but it is zooming up in some areas and has been for some time. Some Asian States are investing and buying big there and have been doing so for some considerable time - as they have in Africa, though for not quite so long.

It's the minerals that are attracting them - and there is uranium there, as you will know.

I should think your niece will enjoy Brisbane.

The one constant is that the world is ever-changing. :-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jan 2016 14:29

Allan, is an inland coastal area the area not directly on the shore but within a few miles and connected to the sea by a waterway, affected by the tide, of course?

Only a supposition.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jan 2016 22:56

Inland coast?

I hope they're not predicting a tsunami :-0

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jan 2016 23:10

We always get things back-to-front in Perth, Scozz ;-)

:-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jan 2016 01:47

Tassie?! brrrrrrrrrrrr, too cold in winter for me.

We're going there in November, I'm wondering if I should pack some longjohns.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2016 02:46

JoyLouise

Perth still has the free central bus service, the CAT Likewise Fremantle, as does Adelaide.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jan 2016 08:44

I would have thought that inland coastal, implies land that is directly affected by sea breezes and rainfall..............?? river etc........?
Bob

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Jan 2016 10:25

No idea.

It occurred to me that perhaps the announcement was cut off mid-stream.

Ought it to have been:

'..... cloudy conditions inland. Coastal areas .....?'