General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just a suggestion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 8 Feb 2016 19:52

If you are a great cook or baker, even if you’re not, :-D but your children just love the recipe, PLEASE consider writing it down, because it will be very hard for your children to ask for the recipe after you have passed away.

Believe me I know. My Mum was a great cook but she don’t use a recipe and keep the changes she made to it in her head.

Von

Von Report 8 Feb 2016 20:44

Before she died I spent quite a bit of time with my Mum. I watched her as she cooked my favourite cakes and I wrote the recipe down.

Like your Mum most of the recipes were in her head but at least I had a list of ingredients even if I didn't have the correct amounts ;-) ;-) :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Feb 2016 20:59

my Mum was a fantastic cook, but she never followed any recipe and never used a weighing scales

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Feb 2016 22:33

My mum used to make the most fantastic spice cake. She'd make one, put it in a tin and post it to me when I was at university. It always arrived in good condition.

She died very suddenly when I was 21 ..................... I have the only cookbook she ever used, and I have tried and tried to duplicate that cake without success.

It must have been "out of her head"

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Feb 2016 22:55

Cheese straws........ :-0

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 8 Feb 2016 23:45

oh yes ann, forget about measuring anything.

like Sylvia, my mum died very suddenly and she left a whole bunch of cooking questions unanswered. I mean if she had gotten sick and we knew the end was near, she would of been made to answer a whole lot of them. like what is the real names for sherried chicken, sticky chicken, etc.

Now she must have gotten the recipe from somewhere, right ? I have all the recipe books that she didn't use in the cupboard, so why can't I found the right one. Although I do believe I have found sherried chicken :-D

cheese straws I have the recipe for, ----------- easy.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Feb 2016 23:51

But it won't be the same one - believe me, we've tried.

Sorry to hear about your mum. When someone dies suddenly its more of a shock than a slow decline.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Feb 2016 08:45

Mum used to make a fruit filled slice (fruit being sultanas, raisins & currants).

I have her recipe books, but that must be another "Mum's head" one.

I've tried several times, but just can't get it right.

There's a little bakery in Adelaide (there was, 30 years ago!) that came close.

Funny thing......... Mum used to make a chicken dish, claimed it was her recipe........ I found it in her books....... hand written on a single piece of loose paper....... in MY writing. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Feb 2016 12:02

When we were young, mum used to cook tripe and onions. This is now an occasional holiday 'treat' - if we can find any - that me and my sister cook for our extended family, while 'trapped' on holiday with us. :-D
I should add, there's a pizza cooking, as we know it's an acquired taste!!

We could never get it 'right' - like mum's used to be. We cooked it in milk as per all recipes etc etc.

A couple of years before she died, we found out mum used to cook it in WATER - yes, we were that poor - and add cornflour!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Feb 2016 18:49

maggie ...................

ditto :-D

Mum used to cook tripe and onions, in water. I think that was something that she started doing during the war.

Unlike you though, I've never tried to copy it over here :-)

She also used to do a casserole of rolled up mackerel in a vinegary liquid that I loved.

I've also never tried to cook that .............. but I do buy ready prepared roll mops here which come close. OH doesn't like them, so they are only for me.

A lot of the food I ate at home was "war affected" ........... such as cooking the roast on Friday or Saturday evening and eating it cold on Sunday because Dad could cut it thinner and therefore it went further. That's why I think cooking the tripe and onions in water was "war affected". Although we aso didn't ahve much money to go round.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Feb 2016 19:07

It's very difficult getting hold of tripe now, so whenever we go out, I look for butchers shops - and ask!! Most are amazed that anyone still knows about it or even wants it.

But then, if it's not on display, people aren't going to try it.

Now Black Pudding has become a 'superfood', I just point out that, until recently, very few people had tried Black Pudding.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Feb 2016 19:16

I love Black Pudding .............. there is one butcher in town here who sells it, but it's not as good as when I have it in the UK

It's supposed to be imported from the UK, but ............

I have a full English breakfast with black pudding as often as I can when we come over ............ which isn't that often. The last time I was over in 2008.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Feb 2016 10:05

Black Pudding........ one of the few things DH refuses to eat.

We were in Scotland a few years ago (as tourists!)...... stayed in BnBs..... lovely big breakfasts...... every morning we sat at the table & DH would move his black pudding to my plate :-D

I don't eat it very often......... it's on the cardiologist's BAD list :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2016 21:13

Black pudding is now considered GOOD for you :-)

It's being touted as a "superfood", but as the article in the link below indicates, there are pros and cons

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/is-black-pudding-really-a-superfood-a6811391.html

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Feb 2016 00:25

I tried the German version.... blutwurst

Cut into it........ and it leaked.......... red

:-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2016 03:12

well, one of the main ingredients in blutwurst, blod sausage, black pudding, whatever you want to call it IS blood!!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Feb 2016 23:27

You know when you're going around the supermarket with a small toddler, they get bored/hungry/tetchy?
We used to buy our elder child a portion of black pudding, keep the wrapper (to pay for it) and give her the black pudding to eat.
The looks/comments were hilarious!! :-D

But more healthy than crisps/sweets, and less messy than fruit (that would have needed washing, anyway).