General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I wonder why I kept that lot for 20 years

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2016 12:35

'In case I needed it'. I have obviously reached the age when it becomes obvious the all that stuff in the kitchen cupboards (not food) is not going to get used.

We have just taken two boxes and a couple of bags of china/glass to the local charity shop. some of it was my mother's that I have never used. Most of it was good.

But then we did buy and bring back two glasses which we needed. Shouldn't go in there really.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Feb 2016 12:58

I recently had my kitchen replaced
I threw more things out than I kept
and even though I have more units now

they are still full of junk opps I mean gadgets ;-) ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Feb 2016 13:31

As well as the combination mixer/food processor I bought yesterday, OH wanted to buy a hand electric mixer as well.

We already have one from Lidl but, because it doesn't get used, I don't know where the beaters are and am not even quite sure where the mixer itself is.

Guess what he didn't get!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Feb 2016 13:35

Instead of a hand held electric mixer, consider a 'wand' thingy. Ours has a blender attachment as well. Ideal for using in a saucepan if you're making soups, or the whisk attachment to thicken up a liquid.

We also had a clear out when we refitted our kitchen, not only tatty baking trays and plastic bowls but also packets were we only used a small amount. Guess what? The cupboards are full again :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Feb 2016 13:56

I get by with a balloon whisk and always put soup through a sieve after it has been in the liquidiser because I save all the stuff from the sieve to go in the pasties for his lunch box.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2016 15:21

I have a Bamix - bought in 1972 - fantastic - you can mix in cut glass or in a bucket

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 9 Feb 2016 15:31

Oooh I thought about getting a Bamix - I guess you can recommend it then Ann! They look so neat and take up less room than some.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 9 Feb 2016 16:24

I got a new kitchen 2yrs ago and Ditto... I chucked more than I kept.

We got one of those fancy Kitchen Aid mixers at Christmas because the colour matches the new glass splashback!
OMG it weighs a ton!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2016 16:31

and now I have started on the photo albums and have found 9 for the tip. problem is I also have a largish pile of photos to be copied to disc. can't win.

I have/had about 50 albums from pre digital times

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2016 17:45

Sheila - never a week goes by without I have a use for my Bamix - it's fantastic - brilliant for liquidising soups, make your own passata with a tin of tomatoes, whip cream, mix sponges - all sorts - you can use anything to mix in - as long as it will fit in - from a piece of cut glass to a bucket - no moving parts actually make contact with the container you are using - on the rare occasions my gravy is a bit lumpy, just whizz it with Bamix and it's good to go

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Feb 2016 18:34

I'd never heard of Bamix ............. just googled, and boy are they expensive over here :-0

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Feb 2016 19:58

Hands up all those who have a pasta roller in the back of the cupboard.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Feb 2016 20:37

Bob that's one gadget I can truly say I don't have :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Feb 2016 22:33

No, don't have a pasta roller :-D

What I DID find today was a Kent & Siegal 'Infinite' dress - in red, size small, circa 1996, never worn, still in the box with the instruction booklet :-D
They sell for about £25+ on E-Bay :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2016 01:31

you need an instruction booklet for a dress!!!!!!!!!!! :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2016 01:35

now I understand!!!

I Googled it ................ they're selling for $119, or ca £50, new here

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2016 08:17

There are video's on how to wear it as well.
The space in the dress box for the video is blank - probably why I was given it by a friend of one of my daughters!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Feb 2016 09:48

I had a Bamix....... it was wonderful...... until DH broke it (don't ask).

Now have a stick mixer (Kenwood) that's just as good..... it came with a small blender .. good for crushing nuts, finely chopping onions, dried apricots etc.

I use these two several times a week.