General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 10 Jul 2016 11:41

Why are credits, paid for, to view search results only valid for 90 days ? :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jul 2016 11:43

So they can get more money out of you? :-D

David

David Report 10 Jul 2016 12:31

Seems wrong to me Det. During the same 90 day period my money would be increasing in value. I don't use them often, by which time they've gone.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jul 2016 12:50

If the records aren't on the Free sites, you could always start a thread asking for details of your finds.

David

David Report 10 Jul 2016 13:31

But that would mean some one else had to pay.

I feel I upset some by requesting details of my GGF on more than one thread :-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Jul 2016 13:53

Those that help people with research do not usually use credits, they do an annual subscription that includes searching the documents. They are able to do the research without having any additional costs. Look at platinum membership as an example of what you can have.

EDIT They often have subs for other sites as well that may give you a wider scope for the research.

David

David Report 10 Jul 2016 16:32

Thank you PatinCyprus. In the time I have been with genes reunited people generally have helpful. THANK YOU to all concerned.
If I seem to take advantage of their help I apologise.

My research met with brick walls for my ability on both sides at GGF

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Jul 2016 17:23

None of us mind doing look ups David - it's what most of us come on here for (for our own pleasure), but if you ask for the same look-up on more than one thread some people will get upset - not because they don't want you to ask for help, but they may spend a lot of time and effort looking things up for you only to find someone has already found the same things earlier on another thread.

As long as you stick to one thread for each person you are looking for nobody will mind you asking for help as many times as you like.

Kath. x

David

David Report 10 Jul 2016 17:36

I recognise my error Kath, and apologise to
those I unwittingly may have seemed to take a lend of.

SORRY

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jul 2016 23:21

David ............

most of those who help are like me ........

I joined back in 2003/2004 .... GR had no records then, so we had to find other sites, subscription and free ones.

By the time GR got records, we'd found most of the "easy" ancestors and were not interested in paying out huge amounts to GR.

In fact .............. GR does NOT have its own records, they do not do any of their own transcriptions. Instead they carry records from other sites ........... and presumably they pay for that privilege, so buying credits covers that cost as well as profit.

As an example .............. GR charges members to look at bmds BUT bmds from July 1 1837 to ca 1975 are free on www.freebmd.org.uk

GR carries many of the records that FMP has either transcribed or obtained ........... FMP is the sister site of GR, under the same management, but I bet GR has to pay for accessing "their" records.

I have had a subscription with ancestry even longer than I have had the Standard membership to GR ......... and I use that sub to help people like yourself.

I (or my OH) have paid for it for my own use, but I'm perfectly willing to also help others by doing look-ups on there.

OH has just given me by first full sub to FindMyPast ....... again it's for my own purpose, but why not help others?

We certainly do not buy credits or pay extra money solely to help others.

We're all just happy to do what we love to do, but for other people not just ourselves!

so stop wasting your money!!!!!!

magpie

magpie Report 11 Jul 2016 06:49

As well as FBMD there are other free ancestry sites like Roots Chat where people are really helpful with research.