Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted son of JOHANNA DEVEREUX

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 28 Jul 2016 10:53

I am looking for someone, possibly called Steven, who contacted Barnardos 7 years ago, to look for his birth mother by the name of Johanna Devereux. My mother (Johanna's, or Joan as she was known, daughter) only found out about his through her sister, last week. She has contacted Barnardos in Birmingham and in London but they came to a dead end as we don't know his last name.

Johanna Devereux was born in Tipperary, Ireland in 1920 and moved to Manchester and then Birmingham some time in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

If anyone has any help as to who he is, we would love to hear from you.

malyon

malyon Report 28 Jul 2016 11:36

is that his birth name was your mother married when he was born

malyon

malyon Report 28 Jul 2016 11:40

there is a birth in 1971 mother devereux named steven Robert no father's name and he was adopted

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2016 12:12

EDIT That does look like a late entry,

Kelly

Kelly Report 28 Jul 2016 12:18

No he would've been born between 1949 and 1954 in either Manchester or Birmingham. I don't think he was married at the time and not sure who the father is or if there would be a fathers name on the birth cert. I am not sure where to look for any entry. Barnardos haven't come up with anything even though this brother of my mum contacted Barnardos and found his mothers name 7years ago. It's just bad that my aunt never told anyone until last week.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2016 12:29

You can search births here

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

using surname Devereux, mother's name Devereux, there are not that many births... I would exclude that Steven 1971 though as it's a late entry, you can read details of entry here

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=242679683:9520&d=bmd_1467658377

Are you sure though that the child was not born before Johanna left Ireland?

Kelly

Kelly Report 28 Jul 2016 12:55

He was definitely born in the UK as it was Barnardos Birmingham who contacted my aunt. 7 years ago. I just can't understand how they can't trace his last contact with Barnardos. I will have a look on that site, thank you.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2016 13:04

Kelly Do you know Peter who has a tree on here?

malyon

malyon Report 28 Jul 2016 14:09

there is a peter born 1953 Solihull

steven may not have been born in birmingham

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2016 14:18

That's the one Malyon, I have asked Kelly via pm also with some details, if Kelly does know him then at least it will narrow down the possible years of birth for 'Steven'.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Jul 2016 23:22

Peter also has a Joan born Tipperary in his tree.

Rose

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2016 23:57

Rose, sending you a Pm :-)

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 29 Jul 2016 09:10

Found a very good link

Which contact would be better for Kelly to contact ?

The person adopted or the person who contacted Barnardos who would have had their permission ?

/

Kelly

Kelly Report 29 Jul 2016 09:58

Thank you but I think we've found him ?? thank you all for your help! X