Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW11 U.S Army service records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Taff

Taff Report 11 Nov 2014 08:37

Can anyone steer me in the right direction please, I'me trying to find the Service records of Myrlen. Leroy McNealy.U.S Army serial No,. 17091340. Died 27/12/1944. Buried in Lorraine. France. Signed up from Fremont, Pueablo.Colorado, in 1942.
Any help would be most gratefully received, as I've hit the dreaded "brick wall" :( :-S

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 09:21

Hello Taff, this link might give you some idea as to how to progress (if records available)
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_States_World_War_II_Service_Records

Is there anything in particular that you're trying to find that might be available from sources other than his service records?

Taff

Taff Report 11 Nov 2014 09:34

Hi MarieCeleste, I,me trying to find out where and how he died, the records I have found so far have the wording "Hostile...Dnb (death Non Battle), so I'me very confused....nothing new for me ;-) I've Pm'd you with a copy of the details :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 10:01

Don't know if having his actual regiment helps:

World War II and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas
Name: Myrlen L Mc Nealy
Inducted From: Colorado
Combat Organization: 347th Engineers General Survey Regiment
Death Date: 27 Dec 1944
Monument: Lorraine, France
Last Known Status: Buried

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 10:05

Received the pm.

Have also found this:

U.S. Rosters of World War II Dead, 1939-1945
Name: Myrlen L Mcnealy
Race: White
Religion: Protestant

Cemetery Name: Saint Avold (Permanent Cemetery), Saint Avold, France
Grave number: J 35 19
Disposition: According to next of kin

Service branch: Army
Service number: 17091340

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2014 10:16

Would it be necessary to contact the US Veterans for help? Full service records as opposed to the ones found and posted above are unlikely to be on line as some WW2 veterans are still living.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

If it's just curiosity rather than a relative, you may not want to bother.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2014 10:18

There's a rather nice photo of him on Ancestry - do you have it? Edit - of course you do;-)

If you have access to Ancestry, have you made contact with tree owners who have included him? They may have more detailed information if they are closely related

Taff

Taff Report 11 Nov 2014 10:24

Thank Loads MarieCelste, the profile pic I am using is of Him <3 He was my late mothers 1st husband, so I'me not actually "family" :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 18:09

http://www.topix.com/forum/military

Maybe the users of this site can be of help.....there is lots of US military based sites...

Taff

Taff Report 11 Nov 2014 20:25

Thanks Kay, but no results :(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 21:07

Taff look for a US military site that has a forum.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 22:38

Sadly, US WW2 records suffered rather a similar fate to our WW1 records.

In 1973 there was a fire that destroyed around 80% of records, as shown on the link I posted earlier and on the US Veterans site.

Taff

Taff Report 19 Nov 2014 17:35

Thank you for your input all xxx :-S