Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval Marriage!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Nov 2014 18:38

As part of my family research, I'm trying to find out what became of BETTY MYERS and ROY STARKEY after they were married at St John's Church, Neville's Cross, Durham on 30 July 1954. Betty was in the Wrens and came from the Nevilles Cross area and Roy was in the Royal Navy and came from Hammerwich, Lichfield, Staffordshire. I think a son was born in 1956 in Halifax, Yorkshire. From then onwards, I can find nothing. Please can anyone point me in the right direction?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 19:25

They went to Australia!

Entry editted to remove full dob - from the Australian National Archive site - Immigration and Naturalisation records
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

STARKEY Roy born 27 May 1932; Betty (nee Myers) born 02 January 1927; Timothy Roy born (dd) August 1956; Steven Mark born (dd) December 1960; travelled per aircraft departing UK on 14 May 1964 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme

(as the parents have died, their full dob has been re-instated)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 19:35

Australian ER 1903-1980 (on Ancestry)

Name: Roy Starkey (+ Betty)
Electoral Year: 1968
State: New South Wales
District: bradfield
Subdistrict: French's Forest
63 Weardon Rd.
Roy was a TV Technician

Name: Roy Starkey + Betty
Electoral Year: 1980
State: New South Wales
District: Mackellar
Subdistrict: Belrose East
Same Address as 1968

Starkeys listed at the same address
Steven Mark - Nurseryman
Timothy Roy - Student.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 19:41

It is possible that Roy died earlier this year

STARKEY Roy
Death notice 02MAY2014
Death 81 at St George Hospital, Kogarah, late of Moruya
Published Narooma News 07MAY2014

Age of 81 = yob 1933.

Possibly Betty's death

STARKEY Betty
Death notice 18JAN2004
Death late of Frenchs Forest
Published in Sydney Morning Herald & Manly Daily 22JAN2004

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

Possible entries for the boys on the Australian Telephone Directory, White Pages
http://www.whitepages.com.au/index.jsp?referrer=serp

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 19:51

A tree on Ancestry has the same yod for Roy

Starkey Family - tree owner bellamyk52
Name: Roy Starkey
Death: 2014 - Australia
Parents: John Charles Starkey

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 19:54

As Sarah is new poster, I have sent her a brief message asking her to return to her thread, and also warning of potentially sad news.

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Nov 2014 21:00

Thank you so much! This is definitely my Betty and Roy. I think (only think - no evidence!) that Timothy Roy Starkey may be back here in Nottinghamshire. I must see if I can find Steven Mark. Thank you also for the links. I will now look into those

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2014 22:44

There is a 2002 entry on the ER for someone of that name - he might opted out or moved.

As there are other Starkey names on the listing, it would imply that they are all British citizens entitled to vote :-S

A further entry with a different female in Heanor, Derbyshire 2003-2014
(the above are free preview in GR)
http://www.192.com/all/search/ lists the same households but different years.

If you don't have a sub which allows viewing the ER on this site, purchase credits either for here or 192.com.

No T or T R Starkey in Nottingham or Derbyshire on
http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha#

Worth a price of a stamp or back-tracking on BMD??

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Nov 2014 23:44

Thanks Detective! I now don't think the Nottinghamshire connection is right for me! I've messaged that link you gave me with ref to a family tree and then I also noticed they have posted some family portraits with the right names so I'm hoping for a positive result there! What a breakthrough!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Nov 2014 09:23

It will be great if you can share information. Have you checked the trees on here?

Sarah

Sarah Report 25 Nov 2014 09:54

Hopefully in the near future, I will be able to put up my family tree. But I really do need to get confirmation regarding that link first! hope I get to hear soon.