Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wm Connor A&S Highlanders - update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Report 25 Nov 2014 14:32

Greetings Potty, Denis, et al

re previous post 27 Oct re William Connor - first a few clarifications re the Francis's:

Francis Connor Royal Scots (Lothian Regt) Service No 2619 (who I think must be Wm's brother) KIA 20-7-15. His age, as Potty said, not mentioned on CWG site but he is on the Colinton Roll of Honour as aged 20.

F Connor 1st/8th Btn Royal Scots Service No 53110KIA 21-7-1918 does appear as just "F" Connor on CWG but I downloaded the GRO War Deaths Army Other Ranks info and it does actually say "Francis". He was born in Slateford.

Slateford, Colinton and Redhall and all very close areas of Edinburgh.

William and one Francis (assume 2619) are commemorated on both the Colinton and Slateford War Memorials.

Back to William: no other family history but on the Tower of London Poppy Roll of Honour, on 20th August 2014, he is mentioned (you can play the video from the website) Unfortunately there is no personal or family dedication. However,

on the Royal British Legion "every-man-remembered" site there is a lovely dedication and story from a lady called Carina Miles who, two years ago, did just was I did in June this year and saw this one single CWG headstone all alone in the Provins (Haute-Ville) Cemetary and tried to find out more about him. It is worth a look.

Regards to all. Would love to hear if anyone can turn up anything new.

Denis

Denis Report 26 Nov 2014 08:41

I have not heard further from France but live in hope.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2014 11:18

Original thread which it might have been better to post the above on - it keeps everything together
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1346017