Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army vaccinations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GreatArtuin

GreatArtuin Report 14 Feb 2015 22:02

Hi - Does anyone have any idea what type of vaccinations a new Army recruit would receive in 1894?

On my grandfather's army medical card I see he received 3 (re)vaccinations but the word FAILED is written underneath.

He had received 4 vaccinations in infancy and then they re-vaccinated him for 3.

Puzzling :-S

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Feb 2015 09:44

Here are the vaccines available in the 1800s

Children were being vaccinated for smallpox at this time, it was compulsory.

1879 First vaccine for cholera
1885 First vaccine for rabies by Louis Pasteur and Émile Roux
1890 First vaccine for tetanus

These 2 are later than 1894 but wonder if they may have been used to see if they worked - wouldn't be the first time British servicemen being used as guinea pigs.

1896 First vaccine for typhoid fever
1897 First vaccine for bubonic plague

My mother was in the ATS in WW2 and at the top of her left arm was a square of 4 smallpox vaccinations, 3 from her army service.

I served just over 5 years in WRAF. In that time I had 2 tests to see if I needed a TB jab. I had Polio drops, tetanus, typhoid and paratyphoid on 3 occasions and German measles injection. I did not go out of Europe so didn't have any of the ones for distant shores. Have arm will jab. :-D

GreatArtuin

GreatArtuin Report 15 Feb 2015 16:34

Thank you PatinCyprus (beautiful island). How sad that whichever vac it was he failed. They checked him out in base hospital (not admitted) but he was discharged from the army after only 3 months. :-(

Thank you again for the information

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Feb 2015 09:22

It would be for smallpox - even in the 1960s, everyone had a smallpox vaccination scar abt 1 cm across on their upper arm.

Tetanus and rabies vaccinations can be given after the infextion, but before the disease is established. Plague vaccinations are rare, even today - like in the SW USA where the disease is endemic.

I could see Cholera and typhoid vaccinations for soldiers going to high risk areas.

GreatArtuin

GreatArtuin Report 16 Feb 2015 18:16

Thanks mgnv. The army didn't discharge him I later found out, he had paid to be discharged. This was permissible during the first 3 months attestation period. So whatever it was he obviously didn't feel it was possible to follow an army career.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 28 Feb 2015 19:53

I had a yellow fever jab before going to the Middle East in 1967. Bob

GreatArtuin

GreatArtuin Report 1 Mar 2015 18:32

Thanks Bob :-D