Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1, Isle of Lemnos, Greek Archipelago

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beth

Beth Report 17 Apr 2016 17:13

Hello. I have little information about my dad's time in WW1 other than he helped to build a hospital and Army huts on Lemnos. He was born in London (where his parents married in 1883] but was of German descent and not allowed to fight in the war , he was a carpenter by trade.He signed up 1916, aged 28 years. I believe he may have been in the Royal Engineers but there is no one alive in my family now that I could ask. Another possibility could be the Middlesex Regiment.
If anyone has anyone has information that couldlead me to the next step of my search I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Beth

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Apr 2016 17:38

What was your father's name and year of birth?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Apr 2016 19:17

An old thread from 2008 which you added to in 2013?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1072372

Albert William Kunz, born 12.4.1888, Limehouse London.
Changed name to King deed poll 1916

People took the time then to look for related records and nothing was found.
What you may not realise is that over 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed after bombing and the subsequent fire during WW2.

It may be possible to find a medal card for an A W King, but there is no way of identifying if its your father or someone with the same combination of initials/names.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Apr 2016 19:30

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Albert W King
Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 120732
Awarded the British & Victory medals

Name: Albert W King
Regiment or Corps: Royal Fusiliers, Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 53907, 63138
Victory & British medals

Albert W King
Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps
Regimental Number: M2/204289
Victory & British medals

There are several more entries for men named Albert W King. & several more for A W King eg

A W King
Regiment or Corps: London Regiment
Regimental Number: 2151
His 15 Star was returned. He served in 3 theatres of war, the first being Egypt on 10 Aug 1915.

Although not trying to put you off, it may be that you'll never find records where you can say"Yes! That's him!"

Beth

Beth Report 18 Apr 2016 15:25

Hello Detective,
You are a star!
I have been ploughing through the Medal Roll Index Cards on and off for longer than I can remember and here you are, with a simple question , you come up with with a handful of possibles.
I appreciate that a) I might never find his records, or b) never be sure if it really is his but thank you so much for going to the trouble of looking. I really appreciate it.
Beth

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Apr 2016 20:17

There is some detail of the situation on Lemnos (written with an Oz viewpoint) in:
Official History of the Australian Army Medical Services, 1914–1918
Volume I – Gallipoli, Palestine and New Guinea
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1069845/

Beth

Beth Report 19 Apr 2016 17:12

Hello,
Thank you for this information and website, I will have a look at it.
Beth