Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a presumed killed.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Jun 2016 13:31

Having found the record of someone on Medal Cards Transcription and I think he is mine but how can I confirm that he is mine please.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Jun 2016 15:19

Or a slightly different question. Would he have joined the Wiltshire regiment although he was born Twyford?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jun 2016 17:22

Check the name & number out on the CWGC site - it might give the relatives names and town.
You could also have a look at the Register of Soldiers Effects on Ancestry as that would tell you who was sent his last pay. Sometimes it just says 'Father' or a different classification of relative.
If you don't have access, post the details you do have.

He might have been transferred to the Wiltshires to make up numbers, or enlisted while working there. I've several living in Kent but with family connections in Nottingham who enlisted there.

Janet

Janet Report 26 Jun 2016 05:29

You can sign up for free with Lives of the First World War and see if your relative is listed there and if by chance somebody has researched him.
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org
The seeded records are based on Medal records and CWGC listings.

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Jun 2016 18:10

My uncle served with as a gunner with The Hertfordshire and Essex Yeo. Field Regt. in WW2.
He had no family connections with either county, and had never been within 200 m of either of them