Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 records are driving me insane!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 2 Jul 2016 23:40

Ok, apparently my Grandfather, Raymond Owen Davis, had TWO service records??? and I can't find either of them :-(.

Born - Feb. 26 1896
Witney, Oxfordshire
Why he was in the Leicestershire Regiment, when he was living in Gloucestershire at the time, no one really knows.

Service record
Soldier Number: 21094, Corps: Leicestershire Regiment

Service record 2
Soldier Number: 128601, Rank: Pioneer, Corps: Royal Engineers

I would really like some help PRETTY PLEASE :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jul 2016 00:16

Nothing coming up for him on Findmypast military records.

About 70% of WW1 records were destroyed in a fire so they may not exist at all.

Men were often sent to regiments where they were needed and they often changed regiments and had more than one service number. Nothing unusual there.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jul 2016 12:01

What was his occupation? That may have been the reason he was transferred to the Engineers. Although he served in two regiments, there would only have been one service record.

greyghost

greyghost Report 4 Jul 2016 22:32

Medal Index cards survive where Service records don't as they were stored elsewhere and were not damaged in WW2

Medal Index Cards Transcription from FMP

First name(s) Raymond O
Last name Davis
Service number 21094, 128601
Rank Pioneer
Corps Leicestershire Regiment, Royal Engineers
Service record Soldier Number: 21094, Corps: Leicestershire Regiment
Service record 2 Soldier Number: 128601, Rank: Pioneer, Corps: Royal Engineers
Archive reference WO372/5
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Country Great Britain
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D2125761
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards

From Ancestry looking at original Medal Index card
Appears to have first been in the Leicester Regt and then transferred to the RE as Pioneer.

Awarded Victory and British Medals whilst in RE
Roll RE/101B/69 Page 14489 noted by Victory medal with ditto for British.

I think this means that If he served abroad it was after 1915 or he would also have been entitled to the 1914/15 Star

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 5 Jul 2016 18:55

He didn't have an occupation until after the war, I don't think. Afterwards he went and got his teachers degree and retired many, many years later as a head master.
Yes, he did serve abroad he was one of the lucky ones that survived the battle of the Somme.

:-D