Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quoting another poster's comments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 May 2011 22:46

Please enable a poster to quote another poster's comments.

Gai

Gai Report 29 May 2011 23:05

Sorry Joy, must be slow on the uptake here. Can you explain what you mean.

Gai

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 May 2011 23:14

Yes, I mean no you are not :-) - but re-reading it, am not sure I would understand that either! :-)

Okay then - I just read in a thread someone saying, something like, I wasn't referring to what you said, ......., but to what someone else said.
So, I think it would be helpful if one could quote something to which one is referring - for instance, here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1363694&page=4
one can see several instances of
Quote:
Originally Posted by

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 29 May 2011 23:28

On other sites there is a facility where you can directly quote what another has said rather than copy and paste in into your post.

This would be useful so that hopefully misunderstandings can be avoided and also if in a debate the point raised a few posts back is the one you wish to respond to, it would make more sense.

Gai

Gai Report 29 May 2011 23:58

Ok understand now and I see where being able to directly quote for another would be a very useful tool to have.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 May 2011 08:27

Rather like Rootschat and other sites Joy? I have noticed that when that happens, the quote is in a coloured box to make it stand out. Useful. Cx.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 May 2011 09:37

The very same, Cynthia :-)

PS I am k9 fan in the digital spy link that I gave.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 May 2011 16:52

It's pretty essential when the non-threaded (flat) view of discussion threads is the only one available.

I'm used to boards that look like

hello - Jane 01-01-11
- hi there - John 02-01-11
. - wave - Mary - 03-01-11
. . - wave back - Mohamed 04-01-11
- goodbye - Susan 01-01-11

so you can tell exactly who is talking to whom. This wouldn't work well on the help boards as it would become impossible to follow the thread, but it would solve a whoooole lot of problems on the Chat board.

The quote facility is the next best thing, and hey, it might even avert the constant carping at me for actually quoting the person and comment I'm replying to ... which I have always regarded as very proper and polite ... but is for some reason seen as rooood around here.

If everybody were doing it, or at least had the facility to do it (so obviously it would be perfectly proper and polite to do it), I might have one less target painted on my back.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 May 2011 17:08

btw, on the subject of flat-view discussion threads, if I may digress just a little ...

I've just had a series of rather incomprehensible PMs from someone about how he couldn't see my post in his thread.

It transpired that he had no idea there was a page 2. This is actually quite common among newbies. Only when they eventually add a post themselves to a thread that has gone beyond page 1 to they find themselves on a subsequent page, much to their amazement.

So ...

Could the

page 1 2 3 >>

that appears in the upper right and lower right of threads be made more prominent?

Bigger text? -- the easiest fix, probably.

Maybe move the lower one to put it above the add-reply box, rather than below?

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 31 May 2011 18:13

I'd just really like it if people could use quotation marks...it's getting me very narky that people dont :-S

I don't particularly like the facility on other sites to use a full quote, as i find it distracting to have a 'box within a box,within a box'... but if it stops confusion as to who said what, then do it please !

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 31 May 2011 18:28

"it's getting me very narky that people dont"

I'll try and remember that RR :-D

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 May 2011 18:32

I know what you mean, RR. It's so easy, and it makes it possible to figure out exactly what is going on.

I do detest sites where people just willy-nilly quote the post they're replying to, often multiple paragraphs of it ... and then just say "yeah" or the like.

All these things take a modicum of thought and skill. With the "quote" facility, one has to have the sense to *delete* the part that isn't relevant to one's reply. But that ain't gonna happen.

And it would make a total hash of the search boards, that's for sure.

Can't you just see people replying to my posts ... all 22 paragraphs of them ... all quoted, with "you're so roooood" their only comment ...

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 31 May 2011 19:05

lol Cynthia, I very rarely say anything worth quoting anyway ;-)

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 31 May 2011 19:08

yes Janey, but just think all those repeat quotes will mean your words of wisdom are subliminally absorbed as people look at the screen....world domination is yours....... ;-) ( that is of course said tongue in cheek in case anyone thinks otherwise lol)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2011 19:41

lol!

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 31 May 2011 19:46

One does not need to post the whole of another poster's comments; one can them as one does in rootsweb mailing lists.

Strange - some of my post did not appear; one can less than sign snip more than sign them ...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2011 19:57

:-S

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 May 2011 19:57

I know Joy -- one does not need to -- but unless one actively deletes the irrelevant portions, the whole thing appears.

Remember, we're talking about people (on the help boards) who can't figure out how to use the "Add reply" box in the first place ...

;)