Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 0 + 1 of 12

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 24 Aug 2012 10:26

Please add your general suggestions for Genes Reunited.

Please note: duplicate posts, general questions and anything that isn't a suggestion will be removed.

If you are having trouble using the site please contact our customer support team who will be very happy to help you: support@genesreunited.co.uk.

The Genes Team.

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 24 Aug 2012 10:43

Would it be possible to have some unique records to search.

Some members, I think, will have some interesting records which they would give or sell to Genes. Unique records would encourage people to upgrade to use search facilities.

School records, chapel minute books, burial records etc

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2012 11:50

Please change this default when sending messages:

When sending a message, currently, there is a default tick next to

Allow this member to view my family tree.

It is easy not to notice this.

Please remove the tick.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1301807

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2012 11:52

Please moderate the find living relatives board.

Please moderate this board in the same way as the success board..

Many of us love to help others in their research. However, it is of great concern to me when I read such as "my Dad is ..... please help me find him", and read that birth etc details of the "Dad" have been sent to the seeker. None of us reading know whether the "Dad" is aware of the existence of the seeker, and I am unhappy that this board is not moderated.

I wante to express my concern and my wish for the posts to be moderated before they appear in the public board because looking for living people can be a very sensitive issue.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1298385

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Aug 2012 12:56

Advanced Search

Could the "Search for Author" be altered to include the option of board name

Search on Forum needs to be changed. If you do not know which board the thread is on you have to work through all of the forums to find it.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Aug 2012 12:58

Quick Search

The results produced by this search are random in date order.

Sometimes not finding the thread at all when you know it is there

Posted on previous thread:
Quick search needs some work

Posted on a thread less than 30 mins ago and I thought I would try out a quick search on the surname which is part of the thread title.

Got 119 search results in no particular date order and not the one I had posted on

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Aug 2012 13:19

Old Threads

Too many old threads are being resurrected. Some where the poster is obviously no longer a member of this site. Shows by the date of membership being before this site started or by Nil posts against their name.

Is there any way a warning can "pop up" on screen to show that a thread is more than one year old.

This is displayed when you do a search but needs to be more prominent

"These matches have been found on the Community Boards in member discussions. Please be aware that some of these discussions contain very old content, but it is always worth checking them as you may find something useful. To check the date the discussion was originally posted click on the title of the post you want to read in the 'Topic' column. You'll see the date the discussion was first posted in the right hand corner. If it was added more than a few years ago there is a chance that the original poster may not see your reply to their thread. We suggest you send the member a message instead by clicking on the 'send message' button. They'll receive a message from us letting them know you've been in touch and we'll let you know when they reply. "

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2012 14:33

Photo page - there used to be a link to it - in the boards summary?

However, the link that used to be:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/media/?pk=3026798
no longer leads to it :(

Please could a link be put in the boards summary again? on the left of the screen with the other boards? Thank you.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1273341

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Aug 2012 14:54

When a thread is reported could it show the reason (this has to be selected from a drop-down menu so can be recorded) and also the reporters name.

This would hopefully reduce the number of trigger-happy "reporters" who don't have the courtesy to state what they have done and why.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Aug 2012 14:55

It would be very useful to be able to sort "my threads" by the poster's name.

EDIT - it would also be useful to be able to perform a keyword search function within My Threads.

jax

jax Report 24 Aug 2012 16:19

If a thread has been reported because a date of birth. email address, phone number ect has been mentioned

Could you please edit the thread rather than delete the whole lot? I know this can be done, but it seems that it is easier for you to remove them?

It must be very off putting for new members to the boards to have their 1st thread removed because of this

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2012 16:43

New announcements are still not shown as being new.

Stephen_SG

Stephen_SG Report 24 Aug 2012 17:20

Search All trees
This table shows all other members on Genes Reunited that have a person in their tree who matched your search.
The first 4 columns show details of the person you searched for.

*Surname field indicates this to be mandatory

I have stated the following many times but since you have placed this referral suggestion - details as follows.

It can be very frustrating when obstacles of generality are placed in a search form that confuse the results or make it time consuming to find the results.
The mandatory field for looking for a given surname is too wide, there is no opinion but to plough through the many variables of a surname, one is looking for.

It should be possible for you to provide a box to tick for the following which would slim down the results into more manageable results.

Phonetic search surnames
Exact match Surnames

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 24 Aug 2012 18:25

Hot matches list on home page remove completely or reduce lines - to change back to updates of trees share with me.

Home page to include information about Geneology events in the UK

Please keep the default tick on shared trees but put a choice to remove any shared tree links you do not want anymore.

Change the order of the threads so the last post is under the original post. Some threads are so long it is rediculous

:-D :-D

jax

jax Report 24 Aug 2012 18:41

Nanasue

Click" post date" to read the last post first

Not everyone wants to see it like this as it would be difficult to follow a conversation

KenSE

KenSE Report 24 Aug 2012 18:56

I would like tthe page number selection boxes, that are after the reply box when there are more replies than fit on one page, to precede the reply box.

That would make it obvious there are more replies following without having to remember to scroll past the reply box.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Aug 2012 02:01

My Threads

This facility has been working since the site improvements but is now bringing up the error messages again

Can this be sorted out so it works all the time

UPDATED 29 Aug 2012
More likely to get error messages then this working at the moment

UPDATED 4 Sept 2012
Fed up with error messages

UPDATED 29 Sept 2012
Error message is back

UPDATED 6 Oct 2012 21.20
Error message

UPDATED 8 Oct 2012 12.27
Error message

UPDATED 10 Oct 2012 12.55
Error message

UPDATED 11 Oct 2012 12.17
Error message

Really getting fed up with all the error messages.
When is this going to get sorted ?

UPDATED 13 Oct 2012 12.10

Well no surprise then

UPDATED 21 Oct 2012 17.29
Error message again

UPDATED 27 Oct 2012 00.12
Error message again

UPDATED 27 Oct 00.26
Error message again

UPDATED 6 Nov 2012 21.11
Error message again

UPDATED 7 Nov 2012 13.14
Error message again

When is this going to be sorted?

UPDATED 15 Nov 2012 12.14

Sick of this happening time after time

BRILLIANT
Since the recent changes this facility has been working every time

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 25 Aug 2012 07:59

Please do not remove a thread when it has been actioned.

Previously, when a thread has been actioned, ACTIONED has been added and the thread has been locked, one example being http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1267253

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 25 Aug 2012 08:37

There are many useful tips in the genealogy chat board, many by the ever helpful Jonesey. Please create a separate tips board for them.

NB I never understood why the designation of tips board was changed to genealogy chat board.

Reggie

Reggie Report 25 Aug 2012 10:03

Rectify - ASAP - the fault whereby threads from which one has deleted contributions still show up under 'my threads'