Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Talboys Family in Aston, Birmingham

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

beanie

beanie Report 5 May 2012 19:11

Hello,

One of the things I am looking into at the moment (including finding my own dad) is the history of the Talboys family branch in Aston, Birmingham - they had another branch which moved to Coventry - I am a descendant. My Gran is elderly but wanted to know more about her Grandad - who he married etc and it would be brilliant if I could track down some elderly Talboys who are fairly closely related to my Gran. Gran has specifically asked who her gran married. Gran was born Margaret Enid Talboys in September 1926 in Coventry.

Ben

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 May 2012 19:22

Ben, have you used the search trees facility above? You could make contact with any potential matches.

Is this the marriage of your gran's parents?

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1921
Hewitt Beatrice I Talboys Coventry 6d 1324
TALBOYS Charles A Hewitt Coventry 6d 1324

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 May 2012 19:27

Not sure if this is him?

UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972
Name: C A Talboys
Medal or Award: Reserve Long Service Medal
Service Year: 1912-1937

He was in St John's Ambulance.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 May 2012 19:28

This looks like Charles A in 1901:

TALBOYS, Elizabeth Head Married F 29 1872 Dressmaker Birmingham Warwickshire
TALBOYS, Charles A Son Single M 7 1894 Birmingham Warwickshire
TALBOYS, Alfred W Son Single M 2 1899 Birmingham Warwickshire
HARVEY, Clara J Mother Widow F 54 1847 Nurse (Monthly) Claverley Shropshire
HARVEY, William A Brother Single M 22 1879 Groom (Not Domestic) Birmingham Warwickshire
HARVEY, Arthur L Brother Single M 12 1889 Birmingham Warwickshire

Registration District: Aston
Civil Parish: Aston Manor

Address: 57a, Church Lane, Aston Manor County: Warwickshire

So, if the marriage I posted is correct then Elizabeth is your gran's paternal grandmother.

patchem

patchem Report 5 May 2012 22:10

Is this yout gran's Mother?
Beatrice Irene Talboys
Birth Date: 31 Aug 1897
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1980
Age at Death: 82
Registration district: Coventry
Inferred County: West Midlands
Volume: 33
Page: 0101

Births Sep 1897
Hewitt Beatrice Irene Foleshill 6d 529

??
HEWITT, Samuel Head Married M 59 1852 Stationary Engine Driver Westorchard Coventry VIEW
HEWITT, Catherine Ann Mother Married 29 years F 57 1854 Silk Winder Little Port St Coventry
HEWITT, William Joseph Son Single M 23 1888 Motor Car Driver Church End Stoke Coventry
HEWITT, Edgar Raymond Son Single M 16 1895 Apprentice Carpentry Church End Stoke Coventry
xxx HEWITT, Beatrice Irene Daughter F 13 1898 School Church End Stoke Coventry Warwickshire

RG number: RG14 Piece: 18566 Reference: RG14PN18566 RG78PN1111 RD390 SD2 ED28 SN275

Registration District: Coventry Sub District: Holy Trinity Enumeration District:
28 Parish: Coventry

Address: 5 St Michaels Road County: Warwickshire

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 May 2012 22:56

Is this your Gran's sister ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1923
Talboys Iris L - Hewitt - Coventry 6d 1276

beanie

beanie Report 6 May 2012 12:33

Hello, WOWWWW thank you everyone :-)

OK - Patchem - 5 St Michaels Road indeed was where Gran Grew up (Gran is Margaret Enid Talboys)

Mike - --Iris is Gran's Sister :-)

Marieceleste - Beatrice Hewit married Charles Arthur Talboys :-)

I'm not sure about if that is the right one - Gran says that her dad's birthday was September 5 1894 - can you confirm if the info you have provided is correct from that?

Although Gran is interested in the whole family, in particular she wanted to know who her Paternal Grandad (also called Charles Arthur Talboys) married?

Thanks again everyone :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 12:40

Not correct year as your Gran remembers it but ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1893
Talboys Charles Arthur - Aston 6d 361

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 12:46

If this is Charles' mother, then her age is wrong on the 1901 census

ELIZABETH LEAH HARVEY --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 13 NOV 1870 Saint Mary, Aston Brook, Warwick, England

Parents:
Father: DAVID HARVEY
Mother: CLARA JANE

---------------------

Births Dec 1870
Harvey Elizabeth Leah - Aston 6d 336

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 13:03

Charles arthur's parents marriage ( written as Talboy)

Marriages Sep 1892 *--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bracey Albert Aston 6d 358
**********Harvey Elizabeth Leah - Aston 6d 358
Lamb Elizabeth Aston 6d 358
**********Talboy Charles - Aston 6d 358
WHITEHOUSE Joseph Aston 6d 358

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 13:07

Just a guess

.... would need to check his father's name on the marriage certificate

Household: 1881

Arthur TALBOY Head M Male 43 Gloucester, England Labourer
Ellen TALBOY Wife M Female 41 Gloucester, England
Arthur TALBOY Son U Male 19 Gloucester, England Striker (Blsmith)
********* Charles TALBOY Son U Male 16 Gloucester, England Bakers Assistant
Ann Maria TALBOY Daur Female 13 Gloucester, England Scholar
Emily TALBOY Daur Female 10 Gloucester, England Scholar
Alfred TALBOY Son Male 7 Gloucester, England Scholar

Dwelling 18 Swan Lane
Census Place Gloucester St Mary Lode, Gloucester, England

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 13:08

CHARLES TALBOY --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christening: 04 JUN 1865 Saint Nicholas, Gloucester, Gloucester, England

Parents:
Father: ARTHUR TALBOY
Mother: ELLEN

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 13:10

Not Charles Arthur but If this turns out to be the right father for Charles Arthur, then maybe the "S" was added later

Births Dec 1864

TALBOY Charles - Stroud 6a 296

beanie

beanie Report 6 May 2012 15:56

Hello Mike - are you sure about Charles Talboy who was christened on 4 June 1865 being my Gran (Margaret Phillips DOB 09/1926)'s Grandad?

I can confirm from chatting with Gran today:

Charles Talboys SNR married Elizabeth Harvey who had the following children:

Alfred
Charles JNR
Harry

I'm now wondering if our Talboys link in with the Talboys in Gloucestershire, Gran seems to think that they are French descendants and that the surname was originally spelt something like Talbois

Thanks for your help - any family members even distantly related, info or anything else really is gratefully received :-)

Ben.

beanie

beanie Report 6 May 2012 15:58

Mary Celeste - My Great Grandad was in St John's Ambulance and so yes that would be him - I love St Johns and have volunteered with them myself :-) I have also put all the info I have got from you all and Gran into the family tree, if it helps please feel free to put through a view request or whatever it is and I'll accept :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 16:13

David we can't be certain about anything until you find the proof through certificates, parish registers etc.

You need to start with what you know for definite and work backwards.
You know the family, we don't.

You did state that Charles Arthur's father was also Charles Arthur but where did that info come from ?

Check the marriage cert to Elizabeth Harvey for fathers names.
Also check to see if his occupation matches up.

According to freebmd records the marriage was in the name of Charles Talboy - without the S

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 16:18

You say your Gran has told you that Charles Talboys Snr married Elizabeth Harvey, yet your initial request states
" Gran has specifically asked who her gran married "

Not sure I'm following this !!

beanie

beanie Report 6 May 2012 17:32

Hello, thanks for your replies. I do know that Gran's paternal grandad was also Charles Arthur because that's what Gran told me. The reason I now know that Charles Talboys Snr married Elizabeth Harvey is because after that information came through on here it made my Gran remember - she is elderly. Sadly, I do not know the family beyond my Gran because I am 25 years old and nowhere near old enough. I'm also in Bournemouth rather than Coventry, I'm not lazy, just a little stuck really :-)

Ben.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 May 2012 18:20

More info on Charles and Elizabeth Leah's 1892 marriage - ties with the 1881 that Mike posted:

"England, Marriages, 1538–1973" Elizabeth Leah Harvey, 1892

groom's name: Charles Talboy
groom's birth date: 1865
groom's birthplace:
groom's age: 27
bride's name: Elizabeth Leah Harvey
bride's birth date: 1870
bride's birthplace:
bride's age: 22
marriage date: 31 Jul 1892
marriage place: Aston Parish, Warwick County, England
groom's father's name: Arthur Talboy
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name: David Harvey
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status: Single
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status: Single
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M00707-2
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1545535
reference number: Image 491, Page 246

Source Citation
"England, Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NF86-HHC )

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2012 18:33

David, No-one is suggesting that you are lazy.
Unfortunately this hobby / passion can become expensive but there's no other way to be sure of facts without trawling the records and ultimately paying out for certificates.

Many an assumption has been made from looking at censuses ( me included) only to find when the certificate arrives that relationships are not exactly as written in the census.

Sometimes family memories are a godsend and other times they are a hindrance.

MarieCeleste has saved you the price of the marriage certificate for Charles and Elizabeth.

Take the information from the transcript and follow it through step by step.

It's almost certain that Charles' father was Arthur but see what the birth cert says

Births Dec 1864
TALBOY Charles - Stroud 6a 296

If it confirms his mother as Ellen Greening, this looks like their marriage ( again Talboy without the S)

Marriages Sep 1860 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Badham Edwin Gloucester 6a 417
****Greening Ellen Jane - Gloucester 6a 417
SWAIN Maria Gloucester 6a 417
****TALBOY Arthur - Gloucester 6a 417