Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing members of the Jeakins family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2019 13:52

John, wife Elizabeth and several of their children went to the US in 1851. The family appear on the England 1851 census just prior to leaving in Newton by Folkingham, Lincolnshire. John 30: Mark 23: Matthew 16: George 12: Charles 5 are all listed with their parents. Sarah 20 is in nearby Folkingham as a servant. James 31 is already married to Ann and in a separate household in Newton. 3 other children remained in England. I have traced what happened to all but 2 of the children, but lose all trace of Sarah and George after the 1851 census. I found a bio of Mark, it mentions Sarah as going to US, but says nothing of George - given that he was only 12 I would have thought he would have gone to the US with his parents. One of my problems is that the name Jeakins can appear under other spellings, I've found Jakins, Jackins, Jeakings and Jenkins so far. Son John ended up in Ohio as a farmer, brothers Matthew and Charles are with him in 1860, as is the now widowed Elizabeth their mother. Mark ended up in Illinois as a farmer.

Can anyone track either George of Sarah down after 1851?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2019 13:59

Purely for INFO

Newton, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England

John Jeakins Head Married Male 64 1787 Ag Labourer Bedfordshire, England
Elizabeth Jeakins Wife Married Female 53 1798 Ag Labourer's Wife St Ives, Huntingdonshire, England
John Jeakins Son Unmarried Male 30 1821 Ag Lab Bedfordshire, England
Mark Jeakins Son Unmarried Male 23 1828 Ag Lab Newton, Lincolnshire, England
Matthew Jeakins Son Unmarried Male 16 1835 Ag Lab Newton, Lincolnshire, England
George Jeakins Son - Male 12 1839 Scholar Newton, Lincolnshire, England
Charles Jeakins Son - Male 5 1846 Scholar Newton, Lincolnshire, England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2019 14:01

?????????

England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 No Image

Name: George Jeakins
Birth Date: 1839
Marriage Date: 1863
Marriage Place: Kingston, Cambridge, England
Father: John Jeakins
Spouse: Rebecca Mills
FHL Film Number: 1040535
Reference ID: 2:3HBHLR3

EDITED

NO................born in Cambridgeshire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2019 14:07

A tree on Ancestry has the whole family listed as Jackins - shows how careless some people are

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2019 14:31

ErikaH - not necessarily careless, I tend to list people under whatever spelling they first appear with. Who is to say what the correct spelling is? I have used the spelling Jeakins as a handle for the whole family in this post, but in some cases one or other of them never appears on a census doc, BDM or other "official" document with the Jeakins spelling.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2019 15:29

I give up........................

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2019 15:49

ErikaH, - having people appearing with different spellings of their name on different documents isn't uncommon, but when it happens it's a pain. With the Jeakins/Jeakings/Jackins/Jakins/Jenkins family about the only time they seem to appear with the same spelling of their family name is on a census document where several of them are living in the same household. Jeakins seems to be what later generations of the family have used where they have signed documents, so the inference is that this is what they settled on at some point. Even with John & Elizabeth, several children baptised in the same church, the spelling on the baptism register varies.

alviegal

alviegal Report 31 Jul 2019 19:37

???? Very common names though

SARAH
Last name JENKINS
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1855

SARAH JENKINS married one of these people

Thomas Wood, Thomas Baker
District Sleaford
District number -
County Lincolnshire
Country England
Volume 7A
Page number 749

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 31 Jul 2019 20:16

Would be below couple...

Chris :)

06 April 1855 - Lincolnshire Chronicle - Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England

Married
At the Register-office, Sleaford, on the 3rd inst., Mr Thomas Baker, of Newton, to Miss Sarah Jenkins, of the same place.

Edits (no idea on below!)

Birth
BAKER, EMMA ELIZABETH ( Mother's Maiden Surname) JAKINGS
GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in GRANTHAM UNION Volume 07A Page 392

Birth
BAKER, GEORGE (Mother's Maiden Surname) JEAKINS
GRO Reference: 1858 J Quarter in GRANTHAM Volume 07A Page 389

No!...

County Lincolnshire
Place Haceby
Church name St Andrew
Register type Unspecified
Register entry number 92
Baptism date 21 Dec 1856
Person forename Emma Elizabeth
Person sex F
Father forename William
Mother forename Anne
Father surname BAKER
Person abode Haceby
Father occupation Labourer

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/new?locale=en

(Parents Marriage 1850, Anne Jeakings)

alviegal

alviegal Report 31 Jul 2019 20:46

If this is John's declaration, then there is a Thomas Baker straight after. I realise that this is probably a massive coincidence unless John travelled to Ohio afterwards. Do you know when he emigrated?

Delaware, Naturalization Records, 1796-1959

Name: John Jeakins
Birth Location: England
Naturalization Date: 2 Feb 1858
Naturalization Record Type: Declaration of Intention
Court Type: Superior Court
Court Location: New Castle
Content Year Range: 1847-1858

Delaware, Naturalization Records, 1796-1959

Name: Thomas Baker
Birth Location: England
Naturalization Date: 2 Feb 1858
Naturalization Record Type: Declaration of Intention
Court Type: Superior Court
Court Location: New Castle
Content Year Range: 1847-1858

alviegal

alviegal Report 31 Jul 2019 21:10

This is Charles....immigration year was 1855.

Name: Charles Jackius
[Charles Jeakins]
[Charles Jackins]
Birth Year: abt 1847
Birthplace: England
Home in 1920: Danville Ward 6, Vermilion, Illinois
Street: Mc Kinley Avenue
Residence Date: 1920
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1855
[1858]
Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law
Marital status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Native Tongue: English
Able to Speak English: Yes
Naturalization Status: Naturalized
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Dea

Dea Report 1 Aug 2019 07:49

Could this be Mark + John travelling over first ???

Ship name - Tonawanda - from Liverpool to USA.
Last name First name Age Sex Arrival Date Place of last residence
JENKINS JOHN 29 M 26 May 1851 U - Labourer
JENKINS MARK 21 M 26 May 1851 U - Labourer

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 1 Aug 2019 09:25

A bio on Mark Jeakins published in Compromise Illinois suggests John Elizabeth and their children (the ones who actually went to the US) all arrived in the US in the Spring of 1851. I've come across conflicting dates from US census data for some of the family, i.e. different census schedules have different dates for the same person.

Ann Baker mentioned above in connection with some birth regns is one of the children who remained in the UK.

I will look at the Thomas Baker/Sarah Jenkins marriage, it may well relate as sister Ann married William Baker and I have several cases where 2 or more siblings in one family married siblings/cousins or the like in another. If this is marriage is Sarah Jeakins then it indicates she didn't travel to the US in 1851 with the rest her other siblings. But the accuracy of the US bio is already suspect so that is possible.

The detail for Mark and John fits quite well, in some respects of course it doesn't fit with the bio for Mark stating that they all arrived in the Spring of 1851, although I suppose they could have travelled in more than one group.

Dea

Dea Report 1 Aug 2019 09:26

Could this WILLIAM be another child of John + Elizabeth (plus yet another variation on the surname) ??

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Swarby, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Robert Bee Head Married Male 56 1795 Ag Lab Lincolnshire, England
Elizabeth Bee Wife Married Female 65 1786 - Swarby, Lincolnshire, England
Robert Bee Son Unmarried Male 27 1824 Ag Lab Swarby, Lincolnshire, England
John Bee Son Unmarried Male 24 1827 Ag Lab Swarby, Lincolnshire, England
***William Girkins Lodger Married Male 32 1819 Ag Lab Colworth, Bedfordshire, England *** -
Elizabeth Girkins Wife Married Female 24 1827 - Swarby, Lincolnshire, England
Elizabeth Girkins Daughter Unmarried Female 3 1848 - Swarby, Lincolnshire, England
Robert Girkins Son Unmarried Male 2 1849 - Swarby, Lincolnshire, England

County Lincolnshire
Place Swarby
Church name St Mary and All Saints
Register type Parish Register
Register entry number 10
Marriage date 18 Jul 1846
Groom forename William
Groom surname JEAKINS
Groom age full age
Groom condition Bachelor
Groom occupation Labourer
Groom abode Swarby
Bride forename Elizabeth
Bride surname BEE
Bride age full age
Bride condition Spinster
Bride abode Swarby
Groom father forename John
Groom father surname JEAKINS
Groom father occupation Labourer
Bride father forename Robert
Bride father surname BEE
Bride father occupation Labourer
Witness1 Sarah HARNETT
Witness2 Joseph BEE
Notes by Banns

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 1 Aug 2019 13:20

Dea, this is one of the children who stayed in England. The odd spelling on the 1851 census doc shows how far away from the actual name you can get! Likewise the US census for Charles with Jackius. No wonder I've been struggling to find some relevant documents and transcriptions , how did you find the 1851 census, given the name variance? I ask because your approach might help me in other cases. Julie

Dea

Dea Report 1 Aug 2019 14:17

It was a mixture of trying everything I could think of, which you just have to do with cases like these.

I had found Robert on 1871 under 'Jeakins' but had difficulty in tracing him back to see if he was connected.

First I looked for his birth on GRO site which gave me:

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
JEAKINS, ROBERT BEE
GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in SLEAFORD Volume 14 Page 588

Then looked for a marriage for his parents - this was 'probable' :

Marriages Sep 1846 (>99%)
Bee Elizabeth Sleaford 14 793 Scan available - click to view
Jeakins William Sleaford 14 793 Scan available - click to view

So, parents William + Elizabeth........

Looked for Robert on 1851 - b. Lincolnshire, sorname 'j*kins' - no result.

Then tried surname *kins and up came William + Elizabeth Girkins, very helpfully with her 'Bee' family!

The same search criteria, going forward to 1861 brought up Robert 'SEAKINS' !!

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 1 Aug 2019 16:43

Thanks Dea, using wildcards is something I seem to struggle with, several times I've tried starting with a wildcard and had a message that it isn't allowed, I can only assume that different sites have different "rules". I must try your approach with some other problem surnames in my family where the problem is often with the start of the name.

Dea

Dea Report 1 Aug 2019 16:54

If the site doesn't accept a wild card at the beginning then I just put in all the info I can and search without a surname completely. It can often take a long while but if you then just scroll down the list a surname can often pop out at you as a possibility.

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 1 Aug 2019 17:18

Thanks for that, I have tried census searches without a surname and sometimes come up trumps.

Julie

Julie Report 1 Aug 2019 17:41

Digging on Thomas Baker a possible husband for Sarah, sister Ann married William Baker, she was his second wife. William had a son Thomas with his first wife. He is of an age to have married Sarah. I haven't been able to track his movements/life so far. It looks like I might need to shell out on a copy cert, it being a reg, office marriage, to see if father's names etc. match up.