Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Romany Gypsy look ups

Page 0 + 1 of 10

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jul 2014 18:12

Hi
I am the owner of an extensive database of information relating to many of the Romany gypsy families,it has been put together over a period of 40 years,whilst I worked has an archivist/researcher.and added to throughout the years with help from my Romany family
I am willing to do FREE look ups for people looking into their ROMANY families,the database includes birth/baptism/marriage/death/burial/census records and in some cases photographs .
Liz

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Jul 2014 13:16

Hi Elizabeth.
This doesn't affect me personally, but I think it could do with being a 'permanent' thread at the top of the genealogy board, along with a few others.
Maybe you could contact Genes and ask about this? Otherwise it might get lost with all the other stuff.
What a fantastic resource!
Jan :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 26 Jul 2014 15:21

Researching on behalf of friends, there is a tie in to the Doe's who would appear to be a gypsy family from the New Forest area. Do you have anything on Hampshire Doe's and could I PM you please as the request could involve living people?
Thanks

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Jul 2014 17:25

Hi Jan
What a good idea
Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Jul 2014 17:29

Hello Greyghost
The Doe family are well known,my database covers all areas of the U.K/Ireland/Malta/Spain/Italy/U.S.A.
please p/m me with relevant details
Elizabeth :-) :-)

oldbean

oldbean Report 26 Jul 2014 17:49

Can you help with Sparkes family Essex please? I was given information recently by a family member that this side of the family are descended from Romany Gypsy. I would love to have affirmation of this if you have chance please.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 27 Jul 2014 07:09

Hi Oldbean
Please either post or pm me the name/a rough date and area ,and I will take a look for you

oldbean

oldbean Report 27 Jul 2014 08:22

Thank you Elizabeth I will.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 27 Jul 2014 09:59

Hi Elizabeth,

A friend of mine is researching her family and is at a dead end, but there are rumours in the family that they may originally have been Romany gypsies. The name is Carley, and they seem to have been around Cornwall and Devon in the mid to late 1800's.

Any help would be very gratefully received, many thanks,

Sue

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jul 2014 14:26

Thanks Elizabeth. Will PM in the next few days, bit tied up at present and need to get everything over to you clearly.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 27 Jul 2014 19:23

Don't suppose you have anything on the Street family of Loughton, Essex do you? Mid 19th century?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jul 2014 07:00

Hi Paul
Without you being more specific,I only have in the database,George Street(sweep),married to Louise
George`s father was Thomas Street
get back in touch if this is them -if not please give details of 1 specific person
Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jul 2014 17:47

message for Cornish Susie
please give me a specific name and a rough year to base my search on
thanks

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jul 2014 17:50

PLEASE :-D :-D :-D
I had no idea that this thread would be so popular!!!!
When asking for look ups give
name / a rough birth year and an area to look
the database has over 80,000 names and is still growing,my database covers world-wide
--But above all else please be patient-don`t worry I will get round to answering everyone
thanks
Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jul 2014 18:11

FOR Greyghost
Albert Doe(the singing gypsy),hawker of firewood born Wiltshire1856,married Caroline Hastings Emily Mitchell,born Hastings 1861
1891-gypsies in the woods--1901 @Netley Marsh,Lower Bartley 11 children parents listed has hawkers
children of above-1/Albert 1880 -2/Caroline Emily 1882 - 3/Joseph 1884- 4/ John 1885-1969,married Mary Kathleen Brodie in 1916- 5/Jemima born 1886,married 1906 to William??-6/William 1889 7/Fred H 1891-1927 died Southampton -8/David 1893-1936 New Forest-9/Naomi born Hants 1899,married 1920 William H Mouland -10/Eli Samson 1901 Hampshire,married 1924 Caroline E Johnson-11/Benjamin born Binstead,Hamps 1902-12/Clara born Surrey 1905 :-) :-) :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Jul 2014 18:56

Thanks Elizabeth, have sent another PM as I think you have given me the wrong generation, it was descendants of John Doe/Mary Kathleen Brodie that I was looking for. I can find no record of 2 of their children Jennifer and Jean (referred to as nieces in Mary K's sister's obituary and the ones I have found don't arrive until 1930 and 1935.

oldbean

oldbean Report 28 Jul 2014 22:15

Hi Elizabeth, it seems you are much in demand but wondered if you had found anything for me for Sparkes after my private message. There really isn't a need for a private reply if you do get chance, thank you in anticipation.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 29 Jul 2014 17:24

Hi Elizabeth,

Will pm you as some of the family are in complete denial about this.

Sue

Stephen

Stephen Report 29 Jul 2014 19:35

Hi Elizabeth

im looking for information on my gt gt grandfather William Witcher who was born c 1849 in wimborne married sarah lakey and died in 1914 in
Lyndhurst
i have no information on his early life until he shows on the 1881 census

thank you for any help

steve

JayneB

JayneB Report 29 Jul 2014 20:35

Hi Elizabeth,

This may or may not come under your list as I am not sure I am looking for Romany Gypsies.

I have a Charles George Anderson in my family tree who claims to have been born in 1861 in Prittle, Essex. His marriage cert lists his father as Charles George Anderson, Travelling Hawker (Deceased).

I have never found a birth record for Charles jnr and there is no record for him before the birth of his first child, Charles J Anderson, who was born in 1886.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jane